Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased PC894PK in a shop in USA.
But Sub-Base of a router is not FLAT.
So... I need flat sub-base. If possibly, DEAD FLAT is the best.
Which product is the best ?
Would you like to advice me for getting Flat Sub-Base of PC894PK.
Please let me know about your recommendations.

Unnecessary additon
I mailed to a shop to chage convex(concave) base to flat one. The answer is "contact to Porter Cable".
Then I mailed to Porter Cable. The answer is "contact Black&Decker".
I mailed to Black&Decker. The answer is "contact Black&Decker in Japan".
I know this way well. It is just like as our administrative organs. It is called "Tarai mawashi".

A surprise to me is ... at the first time Black&Decker mailed me "We can not assist you", but now they changed their mind to "we will send to you". But they also mailed me "you must pay for sub-base".
This is the way of the American Manufacturer's assistance ?
This is the Conscience of American manufacturer ?
As a matter of cause, I replied "I do not pay any money. Because your product is the DEFECTIVE."

I am sorry for my poor language. So I ask you all to guess what I want to say.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
Benny,
How distorted is your sub base? Are they the clear polycarbonate sub bases or the black phenolic style?

I rarely use the factory sub bases, since I like larger ones that have square sides for following a fence. The factory sub bases are used when I need template guides above the table.

If you plan on table mounting your router, you can find a good quality plate and just leave that on your router all the time.

I've also made an offset base a while back out of acrylic sheet, which I also drilled with pivot pins for use as a router compass.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Benny

This what I would do :) drop a email to the SHOP/Company that you got the PC from and ask them to replace the sub base with one that's flat,be nice but hold to your guns,PC is not a fly by night company and I'm sure they will replace it at no charge (IF IT's NOT FLAT AND TRUE) but besure you are 100% right or they may charge you for a new base. :(
I'm almost sure you will have a PC service center that can take care of it for you once you get the OK from the shop you got it from. (RMA Number)
They do back up what they make and sell :).

Good Luck in your quest .

Bj :)

DEC. 2005 or 2006 ?
http://www.routerforums.com/introductions/3859-hello-i-am-nihon.html#post37226

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Benny, this is the first we have heard of this problem. How much would you say the base is off from flat? Are all the screws tightened all the way? Is there an obvious bump that shouldn't be there? Porter Cable builds high quality products and stands behind them. DeWalt service centers now handle all parts and repairs for B&D, DeWalt and PC.(All are owned by B&D since last year) I will assist you in correcting this problem.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doug san

Thank you for advices.

Base are the clear polycarbonate. It is a convex shape. The highest place is around center hole. So... when I use it, router swings. Then I want a FLAT sub-base.

Router compass... yes, I bought acrylic plate for that. I wish I could do well...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bj san

Thank you for your advices.

The first, I am not used to handle a GUN. Good citizen like me (^_^) has no chance to shoot it. But if possible, I would like to have a SAA which has a 7-1/2 inch barrel, one-piece wooden grips. My favourite one. But it costs maybe more than $5,000. Expencive....

Well... if a sub-base is flat, I have no reason why I complain about it to manufacturer.

It is better for me that PC is to be a fly by night company. Because If I can not contact PC, I can give up anything.
But it is not. I can contact them. But they do not take duty which they should take, I think.
It is not a good for me.

After all I must let myself understand that American manufacturer is unkind to a persom who lives outside USA.

I ordered a book which you recommended to Amazon Japan. I will take it in maybe 10 days. I am looking forward to its arrival. Thank you for your recommendation.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike san

Thank you for your advices.

assist :
I would like you to recommend me a GOOD SUB-BASE for PC894PK as I wrote before.
It is the best assist for me now.
I decided not to use PC product on sub-base.

Additions
How off from flat : I can not measure it. I do not have a tool which is suitable for it.(*1)
tighten screw : base itself is convex (without presure)
bump : no.
hq : I've heard about it. So I decide to purchase, but ....
(*1) Gap is 0.02 inch by my friend's measuring. He says "Tolerance(Allowable error)".

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Benny, the reason your sub base plate is not perfectly flat may seem strange but it is true: This allows for minor irregularities in the wood and ensures the wood will always pass the bit at the same height. Rousseau mounting plates are made with this same feature. This is not a flaw.
If you want to remove this just sand it flat. If you prefer to replace the sub base plate here are some high quality phenolic plates from Oak Park, sponsor of The Router Workshop. 11" square plates are for table mounting. 7" square plates are for free hand use and do not have holes for the height adjuster. 7" square plates have holes in the corners that you may mount bearings in for centering the router on a piece of wood. You can view these in the US version of the catalog by clicking here:
http://www.oak-park.com/info.html?list=PC01--

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike san

Thank you for an infomation and suggestions.
But I prefer CLEAR sub-base now rather than non-clear one.
Because I purchased router just for AKEDA dovetail jig.
I am beginner so clear base is easy for me to handle router with AKEDA. A reason is I want to see Bit and also PIN of AKEDA during operation.

Thank you for many kindness.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Daniel R san

Your base is Flat ? It is good for you. So... you have not need to spend waste-time, have you.
The only answer from PC is "contact Black Decker". So I think PC avoids their duty. At that time, I should decide that I should understand that that correspondence is a some way of taking duty.
The beat way of solve is smile and 44-Magnum. (Sorry, Bj san. It is just a bad joke of mine)
And also, as you said, it is impossible for me to get "the right contact person".

Now evrytime I use PC router, I usually feel "why I must use a defective ?".
So I want to release myself from that kind of feeling when I use router.
Then I made up my mind to replace sub-base.

I think it is the best way to replace a sub-base to high quality one.
So as my first write, I ask you all to recommend me a good sub-base.

I thank you for your advices.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
to all members,

I need time to write something in English. So reply is like a snail.
And I usually make mistakes in words and grammer.
As a consequence of my poor ability of language, I may mislead you often.

So I ask you all members to poin out my mistakes to me.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Benny,

Doug has the best solution, use a piece of acrylic. If you are still having problems contacting B&D or PC. Get yourself a piece of acrylic and try a machine shop. They should be able to copy the original to the acrylic and it should be flat.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
to all members,

I thank you for your kindly assistances.
Those make Black&Decker change its mind.
BD says "we ship them without your payment.".
I may be able to been released from bad impression of them.
I thank all members again.

But I use sub-base which is made by acrylic shop near my house.
It is high price a little bit, but it is bot bad.

Unnecessary additon as a English study.

What is the meaning of "will attempt to ship" ?
As far as I know, it means just possibility in future. It is not decided to ship.
So I mailed " After decision, mail me again".
Aa a reply, "are going to attempt to ship".

So I want to know.
1) What is a differemce (are differences) between "will" and "be going to" ?
2) Which has more strong mind(will) for(to or another) shipping ?

I am glad if you could teach me.

·
Banned
11,934 Posts
Benny, english is a very specific language. Part of the problem you are having is what we call "mannorism's". The person who told you they "will attempt to ship" meant they would ship as long as the part was in stock. Chances are he did not look on the shelf to be sure the part was there, it might be in a different department or even building. He might not have access to inventory numbers. He was trying to ship you the part and it depended on somebody else to do this.

1) What is the difference between "will" and "are going to"?
We will do this. A positive decision has been made.
We are going to do this. The action is planned.
Both mean yes, described in different ways.

2) Which shows more intention or commitment?
In this case they both mean the same.

It is sad but many in this country are poor students of our own language.

I finally got into the B&D/DeWalt/PC service center today and had them hopping about trying to find a base plate to check for square. They did not have even one in stock. I am glad they are replacing your plate, as they should. I will mention this to PC so they are aware their service department is not taking good care of customers.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi: At one time I needed a clear see through base for my router, which was a PC 693.
I bought a piece of 1/4" Lucite, and used the PC sub base as a guide. I used another router and a trim bit with a bearing, and routed the Lucite both outside, and the center hole. Then I drilled it out for the mounting screws, and it worked perfectly.
Good luck with it. Woodnut65

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ken san

Thank you for an advice.

I posted that I asked shop tp make order-made sub-base. The inside story is maybe like ... a shop asks another shop in big town to make it. It is also impossoble for a shop at small town.

That is right. I should thank Doug san. He gave me an inspire about non-factory sub bases.
At that time, an idea comming to me is only router compass.

Can I laugh your image ?
I wonder which derection he or she or it wants to go ...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mike san

I thank you very much for your kindness. And I am very sorry for the much trouble of you.

For the future, if PC will take care of evry customers, it is good for customers.
"Contact BD" is really an avoiding their duty, I think.

Anyway, I thank you for all members for big help.

About language
Please let me be going to post it to Lobby or someplace.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Benny,
You are correct that companies should take care of their customers. If there is a problem, they should fix it at their cost, not yours. Please keep us posted on how this all turns out.

Mike couldn't have said this better... "It is sad but many in this country are poor students of our own language."
While those that are learning the english langauge seem to understand it better than we do. Your english is just fine. :D

"Can I laugh your image ?
I wonder which derection he or she or it wants to go ..."
Yes, you may. It was meant to make others laugh or give them a smile. :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.