Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been making bowls and trays on my CNC router. Pretty happy with the results but even with a perfectly smooth finish, there are tool marks. I still need to sand more than I like. Looking for a small sander to use, especially the inside corners. Here are photos of a couple I did recently. The unfinished one is 11x7". The big one 17x11" - the finish was not dry - that's why it looks glossy. Both made of cherry. walnut inlay. (and yes, I know the cherry dark blotch is really detracting. It didn't show on the surface of the blank and that was my only piece of 12x18x1 cherry. Sigh.)

I have a Bosch ROS with a 5" pad on it and like it a lot. It worked well on the larger inlaid tray but the smaller one is just a bit too small. There doesn't seem to be any RO sanders with a disc smaller than 5". Any suggestions for machines capable of getting into the corners?

Footwear Wood Plant Musical instrument accessory Circle

Wood Table Wood stain Hardwood Varnish

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
I didn't know until I googled but they have mini ros that are air powered. Takes 4cfm @ 90psi so that is an option
I have one that I use when turning on my lathe. Works great for tight areas once you get used to feathering the trigger.

Reactions: redrake1944

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a DEWALT ATOMIC 20V Oscillating Tool. You can get a sanding disk that is triangle shaped and the edges are curves. It can get into tight spots.

Here is a kit with adapter and several grits of paper that you can find on Amazon.

Brown Font Pattern Symmetry Tints and shades

·
Registered
12 Posts
Another thing that I have done for hard to reach places is cut the end of a paint stirrer stick(free at places that sell paint) to the shape that I need and stick some peel and stick sandpaper on it and trim the sandpaper to the shape of the stick. You then use the stick like a custom file. You can also use wooden dowels with sandpaper wrapped around it to sand curved surfaces.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts