Router Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
If you look at Herb's example, couldn't you use the shaft as the edge guide...? After making a shallow cut and edge with a shorter trim bit...?

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, I know there are several good quality spiral bits with 2" cutting capacity on them, but as we've seen there doesn't seem to be anything over that 2" capacity. It's gotta be a spiral bit with bearing for flush trim.

I'm hoping to put round corners on thicker cutting boards with a round corner template... fast, easy and more importantly... accurate.

But I can't cut anything over 2" thick, was hoping to make a few thicker cutting boards by request.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Maybe cut the first side to 2" depth using a top bearing bit and a pattern on top of the part and then switch to a bottom bearing bit, flip the part over and use the finished surface on the underside as the pattern? I'm looking at this as using a hand-held router and a pattern similar to the acrylic ones sold by Rockler (and others).

Attachments

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Maybe cut the first side to 2" depth using a top bearing bit and a pattern on top of the part and then switch to a bottom bearing bit, flip the part over and use the finished surface on the underside as the pattern? I'm looking at this as using a hand-held router and a pattern similar to the acrylic ones sold by Rockler (and others).
This is what I had in mind and Tom beat me to it. Looks like the best solution.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Another option is to rig up a pin guide over the bit and attach a template to the top of your boards. The pin guide just needs to be the same diameter as the bit. Lee Valley used to make an overarm guide for this to attach to a router table (maybe specifically their steel top) but I couldn't find it on their site. You could rig one up from angle iron and attach it to a fence.

Reactions: MYB506
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.