Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.

I recently decided to pick up woodworking. I have done plenty of things in the past that give me the basics but never anything in the lines of building furniture. I have just completed building a workbench and also made a stool to go along with it. I think I made a mistake when I purchased a Craftsman router. It works pretty good but I found out the hard way that the base is off by about a 16th of an inch from center and there does not appear to be a way to adjust this. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good plunge router (preferably interchangeable base) for less than 200.00?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Joe

Not a big deal to drill out the mounting holes on the base plate so you can line it right on dead center..remove the counter sunk screws and drill out the plate to take on pan head screws this will let you move the plate over to line it up on dead center and then tighten to the screw down.. the easy way is to pickup a Milescraft base plate plus it will let you use up to 2" OD bits with the same base plate install..

Milescraft 1201 Base Plate / Bushing Set for Routers - Amazon.com

===

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Joe, BJ's $20 solution should be a big help for your router. As far as plunge or combo kit routers go my favorite is the Bosch 1617EVSPK which sells for $209 at Lowes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi Joe

Just a passing thought -- If you are military veteran both Lowes and Home Depot offer a 10% discount. They honor either an American Legion Card or my VFW card.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I totally agree, got mine for $199.99.
I am retired military and buy from Lowes as much as I can because of the discount. I recently made a large purchase using my Lowes credit card and they gave me the interest free period and the 10% discount. Can't beat a deal like that.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
I still carry my DD-2A(RES) card in my wallet. 10% adds up over the years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Drilling out the holes...that is so simple it is genius. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks for the idea. I will say this, however, the screws are phillips and I have at least one that I am not all the confident I am going to be able to remove. In my haste, I tried using the wrong screwdriver to try. Realizing it will not work, I picked up a better one. I will look at it tonight. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will look at BJ's solution as I think that will come in handy for other projects in the future. I did look at the Bosch at Rockler and I was ready to pull the trigger on it but another customer over heard my conversation with the Rockler employee and he suggested that the Craftsman is a pretty good kit for half the price. Being I am just getting my feet wet, I figured I would save a little money. Plus, you can never have too many routers right? So when I buy the Bosch or another in the future, I have an extra.
As for the military service, regrettably, I never served. Thank you for all that did. I will always feel a little inferior for not doing my part in that regard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts