Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been making small, simple vinyl signs and banners for awhile but have been thinking about branching out by offering a little more; namely CNC routed signs. My budget is limited and I don't even know if my little community could support such an endeavor. Therefore, I've been surfing the web looking for information on the best way to break into this market; types of routers and software. Any practical and sensible advice is appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello , glad you found us, it's great to have you as a member of the community, welcome to Router Forums.

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Welcome aboard. I just checked the mail. My Rockler magazine fell out of the box on to the ground, and the wind blew the pages open. Lo an behold, there was the CNC Shark Slimline advertised for $3799. It comes with software. All you need to add is a router and a PC with a 2.0 USB port.

The bed is advertised at 18" x 48". I haven't seen it in person, but I would guess you could make signs at least 12 inches high x 40 wide. That should leave enough room for clamps.

Is there a Rockler dealer near you. They usually give demonstrations on Saturday. Check with them and see if there is a demo scheduled in the near future. I watched them demo the Shark pro. The noise hurt my ears.

Good luck. I would like to get one also, but just don't have the room.
Mike

·
Official Greeter
19,730 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome aboard. I just checked the mail. My Rockler magazine fell out of the box on to the ground, and the wind blew the pages open. Lo an behold, there was the CNC Shark Slimline advertised for $3799. It comes with software. All you need to add is a router and a PC with a 2.0 USB port.

The bed is advertised at 18" x 48". I haven't seen it in person, but I would guess you could make signs at least 12 inches high x 40 wide. That should leave enough room for clamps.

Is there a Rockler dealer near you. They usually give demonstrations on Saturday. Check with them and see if there is a demo scheduled in the near future. I watched them demo the Shark pro. The noise hurt my ears.

Good luck. I would like to get one also, but just don't have the room.
Mike
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it!
Ok, I made my decision. After doing much research and seeing that a person could spend ALOT of money on a cnc router, I felt that the Zenbot 4848 was the best bang for my buck at this point. After all, this venture could flop on its face, and if it does, being out $2,000 doesn't sting as much as double that, if not more than double.

It took a little over a month to get the machine. Apparently they are built to order. It arrived in 2 boxes (each box was approx. 100# ea.) and some assembly was required. Actually, ALOT of assembly was required, but what should I expect for $2000?

There are 2 drive motors for the Y axis (labeled Y & A) and apparently the ports were accidentally switched in the control box because my up & down arrows on my keyboard were backward. After I switched the wires at the motors, my arrow keys moved the head in the correct direction on the Y axis. Other than chasing a few tapped holes to get the bolts to go in some holes, that's the only issue I've had so far.

I bought Mach3 & VCarve Pro (another $750) to run the machine. I've only cut 1 programmed pass so far but can see that the result was positive enough to say there's promise here.

So, that's where I am. I just wanted to give feedback on this post that I started. I don't like it when a post is started and then there's no feedback. If a person is going to do that, then why even start a post in the first place? Don't get me started. Anyway, thanks to all who have contributed to my little venture. God bless you!

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I've often wondered if new posters forgot how to log back back on and never actually saw the advice people offered. I hope the machine and your new venture work out for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.