Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you help me,I seen this item at an auction and ended up buying it for $ 20.00.It is wooden screw press of some kind.I suppose it could be used in a varity of applications. It is made of very hard wood and works great,the screw part is also made of wood.It is quite heavy and would make some one a great "What is it ? "in there work shop or business.It would be interesting to know the history behind this tool.
Any comments will be appreciated.
Thanks
Arne

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,147 Posts
What is it

Can you help me,I seen this item at an auction and ended up buying it for $ 20.00.It is wooden screw press of some kind.I suppose it could be used in a varity of applications. It is made of very hard wood and works great,the screw part is also made of wood.It is quite heavy and would make some one a great "What is it ? "in there work shop or business.It would be interesting to know the history behind this tool.
Any comments will be appreciated.
Thanks
Arne

Book binders clamp

Regards
Ray

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
In this case, the word press simply means "clamp". With wooden threads it would not be considered "heavy duty" by today's standards, but nonetheless it is correctly identified as a book-binder's press. Nowadays this process would be hydraulic or pneumatic. Newer glues have been developed that are actually activated by specific radio wave frequencies. I am a collector of old hand tools and have quite few tools that include wooden threads.

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

1 - 6 of 6 Posts