Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a cnc router 2nd hand. running the router at a slow feed (20ipm) it runs fine. But when I speed it up any faster the machine seems to stall in the x/y axis and it looses zero. Any ideas what this problem may be? :fie:

·
Super Moderator
John
6,941 Posts
Hello Bill
Welcome to the forum.
Be patience are cnc division will along shortly .

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Welcome, Bill.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,359 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bill.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bill, I can probably help. There are a few factors involved. I had the same problem, then I calibrated the machine. It thought is was moving an inch, and all of a sudden it was 1 1/8, no big deal on some things, until you go to next move.

/Is there a name on the machine?
What control software are you using? Mach 3?
Do you use inches or metric?

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you are using Mach 3, you may also need to slow the velocity down on the motors. My z was skipping steps because the small stepper on my z axis couldn't handle the speed. A good test would be to move the x or y axis full speed using the jog buttons, also in mach 3 you can hold the shift button down while jogging and it will run the max the velocity can handle. If your motors stall then, you definitely need to dial back the velocity.

Just curious, what size are the stepper motors?

·
Registered
Mike
3,788 Posts
Bill,

Welcome to the Router Forums!

One factor might be how much you are trying to cut with each pass. If you are trying to cut too much material for the speed you are running then you may jump x/y because of the extra pressure on the bit.

I know that you want to push the machine to it's limits and get the job done but I have found I get better results if I keep the feed rates and cut depths reasonable and don't worry too much about the time.

Also check your connections between the stepper motors and the screws to make sure they are seated properly and tight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts