Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off....... I'm pretty new at router use. I have a PC890 that is less than a year old and I can't seem to keep the setting. As I use it, the bit keeps dropping lower. Thia may sound dumb but can I be doing sowthing wrong? I tighten the bit, put the machine in the table and set it up. I open the lever, adjust the height and close the lever. I also tried to adjust with the lever closed but with the same result. Perhaps that model is not the best for that application?

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Hello! I am a little confused on whether the router is dropping or if the bit is. My guess is the bit is dropping. How long of a bit are you using. What kind of bit are you using? Perhaps that bit is too short and you have it pulled up in the collet to achieve some height? If that is the case there may not be enough bit in the collet to grab it properly and safely for that matter.

If the router itself is dropping I don't know, first you should raise the router then lock it down. You should not lock it down and try to raise it, it really shouldn't let you do that if the router is adjusted right. Is there an adjustment to tighten the clamp?

Corey

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. The bit is in as far as it will go. I have an O ring on the bit to install to the correct depth. Perhaps you're right as far as raising , locking it down, then lowering to the desired adjustment. Do you do the adjustment after the you lock it down?

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi willym24

Not all bits are the same, that's to say most 1/4" bits are .244 to .255 in dia. some the best ones are .248 in dia., so to say get your mike out and check the ones you have.

The next thing you want to check is the lock device on the router, it may need to be adjusted, it should have a screw in the center so you can remove and it then move the bar so it locks up quicker and tighter on the router.

You can also put in a rubber grommet in the botom of the collet nut,this will stop the bit from going to deep in the collet nut BUT it must be a press fit so it can't drop down when you put the bit it.

One more thing you may want to check, see if the bits are free of lub or any build up of wood pitch on the shank and look inside the collet hole for and foreign matter,saw dust,chips,etc. wipe it out clean with some WD40 on a rag and the same for the nut.

Good Luck

Then give it a try. :)

Bj :)

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Bob...Good point on the bit shanks.. standard 1/4 or 1/2 shanks have some room for standard :) Willy try the adjustment as Bob says, I expect it just isn't gripping the router tight enough to keep it from slipping when you turn it on and the vibration is causing it to slip.

Corey

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,908 Posts
Which base, the plunge or the fixed base? If it's the plunge base, definitely adjust the clamp screw. On the fixed base (the one I leave in the router table) Check the gap underneath the clamp. I've had dust pack down in there so the two faces don't come together tight enough to fully grip the router motor. Un clamp the motor, give the base a tap and you should clear it out.

Another thing I've found that works well with the fixed base is to adjust on the way up. This way, even if your clamp slips a bit, then the rack adjuster should keep it from moving.

Lastly, as I've mentioned before in previous posts, Check Your Collets! I had a collet fail once before (it cracked along one of the split lines), and it would not hold anything securely. They are consumable parts, and depending on how often you change bits, they will need replacing at some point.

Hope some of this helps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been using the fixed base. The problem isn't the bit itself slipping down but the adjustment doesn't seem to hold. I've read that I'm supposed to run the moter all the way up and then adjust it on the way down. If I do that, do I adjust it with the clamp tight? It seems to me that it should be adjusted and then clamped. I also have tried with different bits and I have taken the motor off and cleaned it of sawdust. I know where the clamp tightening screw is so I'll try that. I appreciate the help and hope I hasn't been a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
If the PC model is similar to the craftsmen I have, check to see if the clamp itself is clamping tight enough to hold the adjustment. You may just have to "snug" it up some. I'd think that if you can adjust it with the clamp tight, them that is the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well guys, tightening the clamp seemed to do the trick! I'm now happy again. Today I went to the Woodcraft store here in South Florida and I was like a kid in a candy store. Most of you may say so what but here in south Florida it's the first place of it's kind I've seen. All you get here are Home Depot stores. They're ok but they are not woodworkers stores. If any of you know of a woodworkers store in Miam let me know. The store I went to is in Pompano, quite a ways out. If any of you know of a woodworking class here also let me know.

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Hey glad it worked for yah buddy! Hey I can imagine. I have never been in one of those chain type woodworking stores either... not much around here for that.... but I know the next time we go to Springfield Mo or Branson I am stopping at Grizzly and taking an empty suitcase tht will be full on the return trip!!

Corey

1 - 13 of 13 Posts