Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I've had a Starret dial caliper...from my engine days...

And I've lost it...my heart sank...

First thought...what's the big deal, Nick...just replace it. And then I got knocked back by the price to replace...:surprise:

So thinking back to some igaging tools I've seen I decided to check theirs out...WHAT A PLEASANT SURPRISE....! ! !

I ordered it from Amazon for $29.95... https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-Frac...al+caliper&qid=1576601096&s=industrial&sr=1-3

It came yesterday and I am very pleased...strong, sturdy, beefy, feels solid in the hand, all stainless steel...and nice and heavy...

The inside green area measures in decimal...the outside white area will EASILY get you down to 1/128's. Two ruler scales...inch by 1/8's and inch by 1/10's...

The dial face can be zeroed...but it came spot on...

If you're looking for a dial caliper or just want to get away from digital, take a peek at this one...or if you're wanting to throw out your HF model and don't want to be seen doing it...:smile:

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
psssssst!!!
talk to Schnooge.....

·
Registered
1,490 Posts

·
Registered
22,020 Posts
Man, those engineer's squares are great to have. I use them surprisingly often in large and small sizes. For example, setting up the band saw table exactly 90 to the blade, making sure cuts are really square, and to check hand planes sides are square to the bottom.

I no longer buy digital devices that use flat batteries. AAA or nothing, and a dial gauge is plenty precise enough to suit me. My favoite dial guage is from Woodpecker, and I use it from time to time to make sure the slot, blade and fence on the TS are right on.

The one digital tool I don't want to be without is my Wixey digital angle gauge. I replaced my old one with the new model that uses AAA batteries and has a lighted background so it's easier to read. Stick likes another brand better, but I've never used it so can't speak to its utility.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I keep mine above the windows so I always know where they are!! 😉

And I didn't think to check above the windows...:grin::grin::grin:

Isn't it amazing though that you always find the lost item in the last place you look...? If we started there we'd save a lot of time...:laugh2:

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I needed a digital caliper at a place I once worked. We had to have instantaneous measures for quality control and even though I don't have a problem reading the analog ones it just took a little too long so I sprung for a Starrett. If the dial is sticker shock I'm sure the digital is worse. Now every time I go to use it the battery is dead so it rarely sees use. I would have made you a good deal on it. You get metric with it's readout too.

Reactions: Nickp

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Man, those engineer's squares are great to have. I use them surprisingly often in large and small sizes. For example, setting up the band saw table exactly 90 to the blade, making sure cuts are really square, and to check hand planes sides are square to the bottom.

I no longer buy digital devices that use flat batteries. AAA or nothing, and a dial gauge is plenty precise enough to suit me. My favoite dial guage is from Woodpecker, and I use it from time to time to make sure the slot, blade and fence on the TS are right on.

The one digital tool I don't want to be without is my Wixey digital angle gauge. I replaced my old one with the new model that uses AAA batteries and has a lighted background so it's easier to read. Stick likes another brand better, but I've never used it so can't speak to its utility.
Here's the one to get - back-lit and rechargeable from a USB port, AND it's made by iGaging https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-35-2269-Electronic-Magnetic-Protractor/dp/B01FB5UEAE/ref=pd_cp_328_1/136-6190382-3652042?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01FB5UEAE&pd_rd_r=65532931-3ccd-4abd-8c85-ea0a7475ef70&pd_rd_w=qwmHd&pd_rd_wg=g5Yk9&pf_rd_p=0e5324e1-c848-4872-bbd5-5be6baedf80e&pf_rd_r=AEV0Y7SBV520Q6RRMSF8&psc=1&refRID=AEV0Y7SBV520Q6RRMSF8

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I needed a digital caliper at a place I once worked. We had to have instantaneous measures for quality control and even though I don't have a problem reading the analog ones it just took a little too long so I sprung for a Starrett. If the dial is sticker shock I'm sure the digital is worse. Now every time I go to use it the battery is dead so it rarely sees use. I would have made you a good deal on it. You get metric with it's readout too.

Yeah...it's a shame battery management isn't better on these things...doesn't mean I won't take you up on your offer...I'll PM you tomorrow...Okay ?

Reactions: Cherryville Chuck

·
Registered
205 Posts
Curious about the anti digital readout thoughts on calipers here. I have used an inexpensive HF/Princess Auto digital caliper almost every day for 15 yrs - instant metric and imperial readouts; usually on fasteners or panel thicknesses. Have never had an issue with accuracy and it's certainly way faster to read than a dial gage. I have a 75 year old graduated micrometer my grandfather gave me, but I never use it.

If I was building engines or doing other expensive / super high precision metal work, I would use a Starrett or similar, but in the woodworking world I fail to see the value in a truly high precision instrument (and we're talking tenth of a thou vs one thou precision). Granted, setting up machine to perfect index makes sense (a saw or router table etc) but are the results really affected ?

An inquiring mind wants to know. :)

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Curious about the anti digital readout thoughts on calipers here. I have used an inexpensive HF/Princess Auto digital caliper almost every day for 15 yrs - instant metric and imperial readouts; usually on fasteners or panel thicknesses. Have never had an issue with accuracy and it's certainly way faster to read than a dial gage. I have a 75 year old graduated micrometer my grandfather gave me, but I never use it.

If I was building engines or doing other expensive / super high precision metal work, I would use a Starrett or similar, but in the woodworking world I fail to see the value in a truly high precision instrument (and we're talking tenth of a thou vs one thou precision). Granted, setting up machine to perfect index makes sense (a saw or router table etc) but are the results really affected ?

An inquiring mind wants to know. :)
Strictly my own feelings but here they are...

Firstly, it is not the accuracy in woodworking so much as I'm sure digital is just as accurate as dial. It is the eye/hand FEEL that does it for me. When I'm measuring something using a dial I can jiggle the calipers as I gently squeeze the piece and I can see and feel when it's just right at the sweet spot. This happens while watching the needle on the dial and when it stops I know I got it. Truth be known, if the dial measures in thousands or decimal or fractions it really doesn't matter to me. Maybe its the therapeutic component...LOL... As you noted, the precision is much more a requirement in metal working but as I said, both will provide that anyway.

When I zero my dial window I can tell how it bottoms out by looking at the needle...then I adjust the dial face to match the needle. That's entirely too [email protected], I'm sure...

The battery issue is my biggest complaint...they all seem to drain down while not in use. I have a couple of digital calipers and I always pull the battery tray out just a bit to shut down the drain. It also happens that I lost one of the trays and that rendered the caliper useless.

It's also a lot quicker for me to use a dial, in any instrument, than digital. I also have some plastic dial calipers and use them more than any of the digitals I've owned.

It probably stems from my early military and later circuits experiences. There were no digital to use at the time and using a "meg'er" to chase down circuit faults such as opens or loose connections by watching the "inductance" kick of the needle would help in locating about how far down the circuit the problem was.

So I'm going to say it's more of a preference issue. I think the eye-hand thing is more to my liking but the battery issue is my main complaint.

This particular igaging model is really nice in that the dial is big enough to get down to 1/128's...certainly not required. It's not much different than using a scribe vs a .5mm pencil vs carpenters pencil to prepare picture frame miters or mortise/tenons.

That's my story...:smile:...maybe others will share theirs...excellent question, BTW...

·
Registered
Paul
2,139 Posts
I haven't noticed the battery issue on my cheapie digital callipers but I got a multi pack of batteries after reading the posts here. I put extras in each case - just in case.

Nick, you should have found your Starret just after you bought the replacement!

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I have Mitutoyo digital calipers, never a battery issue..
as well as w/ their dial style...

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
For years I've had a Starret dial caliper...from my engine days...

And I've lost it...my heart sank...

First thought...what's the big deal, Nick...just replace it. And then I got knocked back by the price to replace...:surprise:

So thinking back to some igaging tools I've seen I decided to check theirs out...WHAT A PLEASANT SURPRISE....! ! !

I ordered it from Amazon for $29.95... https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-Frac...al+caliper&qid=1576601096&s=industrial&sr=1-3

It came yesterday and I am very pleased...strong, sturdy, beefy, feels solid in the hand, all stainless steel...and nice and heavy...

The inside green area measures in decimal...the outside white area will EASILY get you down to 1/128's. Two ruler scales...inch by 1/8's and inch by 1/10's...

The dial face can be zeroed...but it came spot on...

If you're looking for a dial caliper or just want to get away from digital, take a peek at this one...or if you're wanting to throw out your HF model and don't want to be seen doing it...:smile:
I would have gave you a like on your post til I came to the HF comment. HAHAHA
Herb

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't noticed the battery issue on my cheapie digital callipers but I got a multi pack of batteries after reading the posts here. I put extras in each case - just in case.

Nick, you should have found your Starret just after you bought the replacement!

Yeah...that's the way it usually happens, doesn't it...:grin:

Reactions: TenGees

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would have gave you a like on your post til I came to the HF comment. HAHAHA
Herb

You'd almost think I had you in mind...:grin::grin::grin:

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
FWIW, I pull out the battery tray in my hearing aids and carry spares with me. Don't know why I wear them...they aren't worth anything in open areas.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Nick I did a quick check to see if I could find more specs on my 727 Starrett and found out something else to consider when buying digital. Namely that in a few years they are nearly worthless. Just like most other electronics.

Reactions: Nickp
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.