Router Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Jet Pr Shop 1 3/4hp table saw and I am looking for a low profile thin kerf riving knife. I have called Jet and they don't make one for my saw. They only have full kerf riving knives. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
21,697 Posts
I guess you could have one cut and finished at a machine shop. Use the thin one as a template. Might need to thin part of it down to fit the slot. Personally, I've switched to full kerf blades, they just work better without deflection.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess you could have one cut and finished at a machine shop. Use the thin one as a template. Might need to thin part of it down to fit the slot. Personally, I've switched to full kerf blades, they just work better without deflection.

Tom, I was using a full kerf also but I was getting a lot of burning while ripping. I then used my ripping blade and the burning was better but not gone. That is when I installed my thin kerf blade it stopped the burning. My saw is a 1 3/4HP and the thin kerf blade cuts easier but I agree a full kerf blade is better.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Tom, I was using a full kerf also but I was getting a lot of burning while ripping. I then used my ripping blade and the burning was better but not gone. That is when I installed my thin kerf blade it stopped the burning. My saw is a 1 3/4HP and the thin kerf blade cuts easier but I agree a full kerf blade is better.
Make your own out of an old thin kerf blade or find a piece of metal the same thickness. Use the one you have for a pattern.

Just saying,
Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Herb has the plan...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
A riving knife is one of those things I'd like to have, but no one makes one for my old Delta. It originally had a splitter, so it isn't that old, but even that was lost before I got the saw. I thought about a micro splitter, but the blade comes very close to the end of the insert when it's all the way up so I don't think there's room for one.

·
Registered
125 Posts
A riving knife is one of those things I'd like to have, but no one makes one for my old Delta. It originally had a splitter, so it isn't that old, but even that was lost before I got the saw. I thought about a micro splitter, but the blade comes very close to the end of the insert when it's all the way up so I don't think there's room for one.
The oem insert has another slot for the original splitter, you have lots of room there but more to the point with a thin kerf you will want a zero clearance insert anyway so there is loads of room for a slitter add-on.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The oem insert has another slot for the original splitter, you have lots of room there but more to the point with a thin kerf you will want a zero clearance insert anyway so there is loads of room for a slitter add-on.
I don't see any extra slot in the OEM insert. This saw is a 34-670, which isn't very big, the table is only 22" front to back.

Out of curiousity I just did a Google search to determine how old this saw might be. The oldest reference I saw is a manual from 1995. I really thought this saw was older than that.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Can you attach it where the splitter attached? Was it one where the splitter was part of the blade guard?

Herb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.