Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend who lives a couple of hours from us sent an email Wednesday asking if I wanted his Walnut, Maple, and Mahogany scraps for cutting boards. He builds very nice custom furniture and guitars, about 55 so far. Anyway, he said if I didn't want the scraps they would go in his burn pile. I haven't seen him in 6 months or so and wouldn't mind the drive but since I had a ton to do today I asked if he could give me an idea of the amount of scraps he was talking about. He sent some photos and said most were 4/4 36" or so but would be great for what I'm doing. We figured, why not, our stuff will wait and Sandy and I would enjoy the drive.

These are the photos he sent and said I could thin out the two bins inside his wood storage building (his wood storage building is probably 20' x 50', his shop must be 3,000 sq. ft, maybe more, climate controlled, and with a finishing room he can drive his van into for loading furniture - finishing room is also climate controlled - all of this at his house)

Scraps -
001 - Scraps, 36 inches or so.JPG

002 - Scraps, 36 inches or so, two bins.JPG

In the truck when we got home - they multiplied! He helped me clean out both bins, insisted it was all going to be burned. Substantially longer than 36", I'd say. Also, about 20% of this is 8/4 Mahogany and Walnut, some 6/4. Didn't see a knot, absolutely nail/fastener free, and only a couple of pieces with splits. No idea how many cutting boards this will make.
003 - Loaded in the truck.JPG

In the family room - no room in our shop, making a space in our drying room (daughter's old bedroom).
004 - In the family room.JPG

This is the pile we put in the drying room -
005 - In the drying room.JPG

End shot of the stack -
006 - Stacked.JPG

Overall shot -
007 - Stacked.JPG

4/4 Figured Mahogany, about 8" wide, 40+" long -
008 - Figured African Mahogany.JPG

Anyway, I guess cutting boards will occupy most of my time for a while.

Enjoy!
David

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
David you have all the luck. That is some nice lumber. That must be where the You Tubers get all their scrap. You know they build everything out of scrap. :laugh2:

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
cutting boards, bread boards, cheese boards oh my...... :)

A worthwhile drive on many levels David...

Reactions: difalkner

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
Benefits of clean living, as my old boss used to say(one of the few expressions he had that could be shared in polite company)

I admit I might have a tinge of envy, but at least I am consoled with the knowledge that there will be some great videos soon

Awesome score, glad it didn't go to the burn pile

·
Super Moderator
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That figure mahogany would make an excellent telecaster guitar top. Hint Hint.
Probably so, Mark, but it's got s split on the other side. It'll probably be good for boxes, bookmatched music stand, etc. It is purty, though!

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts