Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone any experience with a Lumber Wizard metal detector. I have checked on line, and there seem to be as many negative comments as there is positive. As they seem to be around $149 do you think that they are worth the money, or is there anything better that you could recommend.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Has anyone any experience with a Lumber Wizard metal detector. I have checked on line, and there seem to be as many negative comments as there is positive. As they seem to be around $149 do you think that they are worth the money, or is there anything better that you could recommend.
I have the Wizard w/o the laser.. 90$(?)..
no complaints...

the Bosch stud finder works really well for thick materials...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I use to have the little one...
it missed several 60D's...
the TS didn't...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have a very old Zircon 5.5, it finds edge and Ø, seep scans, I've found old unused gas pipe behind tiled walls and it senses AC elect lines. I've used it on questionable lumber, (rust stains) and had no prob finding the tips of rotted nails

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I'm in the market for one as well. HF has one that I've heard good things about and is often on sale for $30. Not sure I'd want to trust my blades to harbor freight but sometimes their stuff is pretty good.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I'm in the market for one as well. HF has one that I've heard good things about and is often on sale for $30. Not sure I'd want to trust my blades to harbor freight but sometimes their stuff is pretty good.
"Friends don't let friends buy particle board". Enough said!

Reactions: DaninVan

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
"Friends don't let friends buy particle board". Enough said!
true enough...
but didn't you mean to say "Friends don't let friends buy HF". Enough said!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
true enough...
but didn't you mean to say "Friends don't let friends buy HF". Enough said!
The analogy is the same...:wink:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Meh, some stuff at HF is just fine. Some is pure crap. HF doesn't censor the reviews people write so you can at least get a sense of the kind of problems a product might have. HF has poor QC but a very liberal return policy. I had a 14" HF bandsaw that worked rather well, tracked just fine, plenty of power. Was pretty happy with it until a good deal came along on a used Griz G0555. I traded up for the tension release, better guides and 1/4 more horse (left rear leg) but it isn't like night and day better.

Their wand gets good reports from multiple people on another forum and several say it looks exactly like the Garrett model. One guy reports that it detects broken off staples. On top of that, there are several complaints about the Lumber Wizard failing and the little version not being very effective. I dunno, seems like on sale the HF model is worth a try.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Meh, some stuff at HF is just fine. Some is pure crap. HF doesn't censor the reviews people write so you can at least get a sense of the kind of problems a product might have. HF has poor QC but a very liberal return policy. I had a 14" HF bandsaw that worked rather well, tracked just fine, plenty of power. Was pretty happy with it until a good deal came along on a used Griz G0555. I traded up for the tension release, better guides and 1/4 more horse (left rear leg) but it isn't like night and day better.

Their wand gets good reports from multiple people on another forum and several say it looks exactly like the Garrett model. One guy reports that it detects broken off staples. On top of that, there are several complaints about the Lumber Wizard failing and the little version not being very effective. I dunno, seems like on sale the HF model is worth a try.
In my opinion--based on my own behavior and reading a lot of reviews--reviews are often based on expectations. If i pay $30 for an item expecting little and it does better than that, good review. If i pay $150 for a similar item because "it's one of the best" my level of expectation is much higher (so the review will be tougher). Trying to interpret that in written reviews can be really tough.

That said--right now i'm not using ANY metal detection, so $30 to get in the habit would be a better investment than continuing on my current course. I don't generally work with repurposed lumber, but that doesn't mean that a tree didn't grow around a nail 50 years ago!!

Thanks for the topic, another reminder of something i really need to get in the habit of using.

earl

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
In my opinion--based on my own behavior and reading a lot of reviews--reviews are often based on expectations. If i pay $30 for an item expecting little and it does better than that, good review. If i pay $150 for a similar item because "it's one of the best" my level of expectation is much higher (so the review will be tougher). Trying to interpret that in written reviews can be really tough.
While I agree that expectations play a role in "I like it" or "I don't like it", reviews and reports that say "it caught a broken off staple" or similar tell you something about how well it works. Also, the HF reviews often say what went wrong and how the reviewer worked around it. Knowing the warts is invaluable. And, all products have some warts, no matter how good they are.

A quality review tells you why the item was good or bad, gives examples of why and suggests how it could be better. You can spot a quality review pretty easily.

In the end, reviews and reports from users are invaluable in selecting the right product for me. I can't imagine buying a product without trying to read everything that has been written about it. Anecdotes, reviews, ads, testimonials or what ever. I often reach a conclusion before putting hands on the product and am seldom disappointed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have had the Little Wizard that Rockler sells for $25.00, about two years now. It has never missed a thing (that I am aware of). It almost drove me nuts one time giving what I thought was a false reading that turned out to be an office staple in a Tiny crack in my work bench. I was reading it thru a 2x6 laying flat on the bench. The detector was set to its maximum setting and kept beeping a weak signal. Still use it almost every week and thrilled with it. $25.00 or $250.00, IF IT WORKS, IT WORKS!

Some days you are the WINDSHIELD, some days you are the BUG.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts