Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the new M Power MHLF Accessory for my CRB7 jig from Infinity Tools. It's a Mortise, Hinge, and Lock routing accessory. Now I'm hoping that I won't need to make a new box to fit this option in the box that I already made for my CRB7 jig. M Power has a new Mark 3 version of the jig out now, but I can't see any differences over the Mark 2. I love using my Mark 2 and keep thinking of new ways to use it..

Does anyone have the MHLF accessory yet?

Charley

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It came in the mail today, and it fits in the box that I built, but not well. At least I can get the lid closed and latched. Now to try to find the time to try it out. I have a piano hinge to install in a box that I'm making, so this will likely be my first use. So far this looks like a well made and well thought out addition to the CRB7, which, I guess, should now be called a CRB8 ??

Infinity also sells the CRB7 complete with this accessory in a package deal. I think Infinity Tools is the first to have these in stock. I've been looking around and haven't seen them anywhere else.

https://www.infinitytools.com/mpower-mortise-hinge-lock-accessory

Charley

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thanks for then links, Charley. I'm also interested in this attachment. I've had a CRB7 for about 6 months and really like it. So far I've used it for cutting circles and a bunch of rabbets.

Keep us posted when you get a chance to try this out.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although my MHLF accessory for the CRB7 arrived about a week and a half ago, I didn't get to do much more than look at it when it first arrived. So Wednesday I had a few hours in the shop and decided to learn more about the MHLF and make certain that it was ready to use..

The first thing that I noticed was that there were only two long and two short flat head screws included in the MHLF package. I quickly also discovered that since my CRB7 was a Mark 2 model, that two needed holes were missing from the plastic base of my CRB7, but instructions were included in the MHLF package that showed the location and size of the holes that were needed, so I drilled and countersunk these holes quite easily. The two short M4 .7 flat head screws that came with the MHLF were then used to attach it through these two new holes. It was then that I discovered that the holes in the MHLF were only threaded about three threads deep, so the provided screws bottomed out way before the heads of the screws reached their proper positions. I wouldn't want it attached with only three threads anyway.

A quick check with a piece of wire showed that the holes in the MHLF were plenty deep, just not threaded deep enough. I also figured out that the other two provided screws were intended for attaching sacrificial wood strips to the side fences of the MHLF, but I would need four screws to attach the sacrificial boards to both fences, and they had only provided two of these with the MHLF.

None of this is a real surprise to me, because this is not the first time that I have bought English made tooling with untapped or only partially tapped holes and missing metric hardware, but in my more immediate part of this World it's sometimes difficult to find the right Imperial hardware, much less Metric.

So off I went in search of an M4 .7 tap and long flat head screws. Lowes had the needed flat head M4 .7 bolts, but they weren't truly flat heads, more like slightly round tops on flat heads, but I bought them anyway, and they didn't offer any taps inImperial or Metric. Fnding the M4 .7 tap took me the rest of the afternoon, and five more stops before I finally found a Chinese made M4 .7 tap for just under $5. So that used up most of the rest of my available Wednesday afternoon and almost 60 miles wear on my truck, but I did manage to spend a few hours in the shop yesterday afternoon threading and fitting all of the MHLF parts together and getting it attached to my CRB7 OK. I even made and fitted some 1/2" Baltic Birch sacrificial strips to the side fences of the MHLF, but I had to run the same tap through every one of the brass inserts in the MHLF to clean out the burrs before the M4 .7 bolts would screw in all the way. So my CRB7 and my MHLF are now finally together and complete with the shop made sacrificial fence pieces attached, but I ran out of time yesterday, and expect to have no shop time today, so it's still waiting for me to try it out.

I hope that the rest of you who buy the MHLF accessory for your CRB7 have better luck than I had. It seems like a useful tool, once it fits the CRB7. I'll get to try it out some day soon.

Still fuming a bit yesterday afternoon about the need for me to have to spend much of my Wednesday afternoon looking for the Metric tap that I needed, I went on Amazon and bought a 76 piece Imperial / Metric American Made Irwin Hanson tap and die set, which showed up today via FedEx during my lunch. So hopefully, this tap and die sourcing problem that I had should never happen to me again. I hate Chinese made cutting tools, but that was all that I could find locally. Having lived here for 34 years I should have done this years ago. I'm also about to buy an assortment of Metric nuts and bolts "to have on hand" for the next time.

Charley

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Charley
I have dealt with them before, (a piece I broke)great support they send me a new piece, no charge
I sure if you had call them they would got a new piece out asap.
I just email them with my problem,They sent an email back asking for my address sent me a new one

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Being a retired automation engineer I have a tendency to just fix small things myself. If a piece is damaged or I can't fix it so it will work easily, then I go that route. Just too many years creating new automation that ends up being delivered in "not quite ready" condition. Of course, everything was a first time tool, so there are design errors to deal with in addition to vendor failures. It was always easier to fix the little things and then move on.I'm an EE, but have considerable experience in all of the trades needed to create new automated machinery. At least now I know every bit about the tool and know that everything works correctly when I'm ready to use it..
No time to play/work in the shop today. Too many chores to do around here.

Charley

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.