Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have just purchased a cnc with mach 3 controller and there is a 25 pin parallel cable coming from it i also got a desktop computer but this has no parallel port do i just buy and install a standard parallel port for the desktop computer or is there a special kind
thanks in advance

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
4,196 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Dave! You joined in 2009 and this is your first post? Cool - glad you asked your question. When you get a minute complete your profile with first name so it clears the N/a in the side panel. Your location helps us to help you, as well.

I believe it's a standard parallel port so about any card that is compatible with your computer should work. We like photos, btw!

David

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Not sure if today’s STD parallel ports will be good. In my area, a complete used PC (including screen, keyboard and mouse) goes for $50.00 and the older the PC the better for Mach3. Even a friend or neighbor may have one which is not been used for years. I will go for a PC with a factory installed printer port.

If the controller did not come with the printer cable (the cable used to connect the controller to the PC) be careful what cable you buy since most of the cables today don’t have all the pins connected

Laptops also are not the best for Mach3

In addition. My CNC PC is a dedicated PC just for my CNC. Means it’s not connected to the internet and has no other software installed except what is required to run the CNC

·
Registered
Mike
3,940 Posts
Welcome to the Router Forums Dave.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I went with your advice and got a stand alone PC which had sorted that only thing is now I think I need a stepper motor as one on my x axis is not working the joys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.