Router Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be getting soft in my old age.

But this could be used for most any holiday or event with text of choice. Hmmm ... might be on to something.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
John if you were a bad kid "like me" when you were young this will help you get back on her good side. >:) :grin: That is very well done. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Wow John. That's absolutely beautiful!

Reactions: honesttjohn

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
if you were a bad kid "like me" when you were young this will help you get back on her good side. That is very well done. Thanks for posting.

Don, I gotta admit I did some really "stupid" stuff back in the day. But she hung in there. Last 30 years or so must have been pretty good - they went by awful fast. She even took it to work to show it off.
another very well done job, John! Looks nice. How long did it take, how big is it, is that Cherry, etc.?

David, that's just a piece of 5/4 glued up pine panel from Menards. Started with a 16 x 12 piece and ended up with 15 x 11 finished. Rough cut was an hour and change and the finished cut was about 3 hours using a 1/4 inch ball nose set on high detail. Could have gotten a little better detail using a 1/8 ball nose, but that would have added a few more hours to the finsh cut. The model is included with Aspire clipart.
Golden oak stain and some gloss poly.

Nice work, John. Must have decided not to go with the "hands" we had discussed. Might make a suggestion to try to 'distort' the text shape to the page shape to make it flow.

Dave, she wanted the rings. Am planning on making a few different variations so I will definitely use the hands. Still playing with the distort feature - I'll get better at it..........I hope.

Reactions: jj777746 and MEBCWD

·
Super Moderator
David
3,569 Posts
Rough cut was an hour and change and the finished cut was about 3 hours using a 1/4 inch ball nose set on high detail. Could have gotten a little better detail using a 1/8 ball nose, but that would have added a few more hours to the finsh cut.
What feed/speed are you running each of those bits, John, and how much stepover and stepdown do you increase with each pass? I assume the 'high detail' setting is a choice in Aspire and probably gives less stepover and stepdown with each pass. In Fusion 360 I have to set all of that but generally run 18k and 0.09375" depth at 100-150 ipm on the 1/4" (spiral upcut two-flute flat end bit), haven't done any enough 3D to know how Fusion 360 treats stepover. Most of what I have done is contour/profile cutting so it's just stepdown to be factored. I usually run the same style 1/8" bit at 50 ipm and 0.0625" stepdown but the same RPM.

Just curious...
David

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
David, I usually run my spindle at 18000 rpms. Aspire has 3 settings - standard (fastest), high (3x longer), and very high (7x longer). You can get pretty intricate if you want. Stepover is usually 10% (you can set it for whatever you want) and my machine is supposed to be 200 ipm max, so I usually keep it 150-180 ipm - depends on the hardness of the material.

Reactions: difalkner

·
Super Moderator
David
3,569 Posts
I've run my 1/4" bits at 150 ipm a few times and it did just fine but I tend to be a bit conservative with a starting point of 100 for 1/4" and 50 for 1/8". But my stepover is around 50% to 75%.

Btw, I have my machine throttled back on the motor settings but yesterday going corner to corner on a 12" x 14" board I noticed Mach4 showed rapids of 750 ipm for a second. I frequently see rapids of 600 ipm and I have to say that gantry seriously covers some territory quickly like that! LOL!

·
Registered
577 Posts
I am sure she will love it. I do.

Reactions: honesttjohn

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bout time you got to thinking about getting with the program again!!

You may need a refresher course in CNC 101.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts