Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve been working with Stick on making saddles for my shop. Here are some pics of the pieces to make an 8x6 saddle with some guiding tips written on the sheet metal.

I will be making templates and better instructions on these, but decided to get these rudimentary photos while I was in my shop. More refined photos, instructions and templates to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
21,694 Posts
I was thinking that with solder you could seal the joint in one step. Clean it thoroughly, rivit to hold in place, then flux, then solder with a propane torch.

I'm not a fan of caulk in DC piping.

One other question, could you use a nibbling tool to cut that ovoid opening?

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I was thinking that with solder you could seal the joint in one step. Clean it thoroughly, rivet to hold in place, then flux, then solder with a propane torch.

solder...
the torch will be too much for the pipe and burn off the galvanizing which will promote corrosion....

caulk...
as long as it's butyl rubber, Vulkem or Hybrid Polyurethane...
works great...

Reactions: roxanne562001

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
the bottom one is a tinners or hand irons...
mostly used on slate roof lead flashing and copper roofs...

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I was thinking that with solder you could seal the joint in one step. Clean it thoroughly, rivit to hold in place, then flux, then solder with a propane torch.

Interesting point, Tom...what solder do you use on your DC ducting...? And do you solder the pieces together at the joint also or do you tape them...?

Reactions: Stick486

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Interesting point, Tom...what solder do you use on your DC ducting...? And do you solder the pieces together at the joint also or do you tape them...?
I'd like to know too..

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Also, in case anyone is going the heat/weld route galvanized fumes will make you sick.

If you do this, make sure you have source capture or some way to keep from inhaling the smoke.
completely forgot about the hazards of heating/soldering/welding galvanized steel...
BTDT, once, in a former life...
never again...
vaporized zinc coating, and if you breathe in the smoke/fumes, absolutely raises Hades w/ the kidneys and sinuses...
it's called ''Metal Fume Fever''... you will become one sick puppy...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

Soldering any great length would become onerous and, as discussed above, toxic. I will likely have up to a dozen saddles — and with variable gaps plus the seam length in the conduit (am not using spiral or PVC) soldering would be one major problem. Caulk/aluminum tape seems efficient and cheap. I can put aluminum tape on 20’ of seam very quickly and be up and running. Caulk is similar, but with a drying time. I dare say that 20’ of soldering would take some time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.