Router Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Soldering any great length would become onerous and, as discussed above, toxic. I will likely have up to a dozen saddles — and with variable gaps plus the seam length in the conduit (am not using spiral or PVC) soldering would be one a major problem. Caulk/aluminum tape seems efficient and cheap. I can put aluminum tape on 20’ of seam very quickly and be up and running. Caulk is similar, but with a drying time. I dare say that 20’ of soldering would take some time.
The saddle joint needs caulk or Duct Sealant...
for holes/gaps use fiberglass mesh tape w/ the caulk or sealant...

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
What is your planned use for these?

I ask because thin 30 ga pipe does not hold up well for dust collection and that pipe looks quite thin in your photos. 26 ga pipe would survive dust collection, but would be much more difficult to cut and shape. The 30 ga works well in heating and ventilation ducts because the flow is an outward positive pressure, but does not do well when it's subjected to vacuum. It implodes. You also want the joints to be as smooth as possible inside, so the air and dust can move freely and without restrictions or rough surfaces inside that cause turbulence.

Charley

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
sounds like splitting hairs on the turbulence
just the same..
I wouldn't consider using 30GA...
I have no issues working w/ 24/26GA....

Reactions: Nickp
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.