Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, or rather looking for information/input.
A new member of our local woodworking guild is an enthusiastic organizer. He'd like to setup a community woodworking space and he's interested in hearing from/about successfully operating ones in other locations.
Do any of our members either belong to one or have info about ones in their areas?
All info would be appreciated!
Thanks,
-Dan
PS you can pm me if you'd like to converse about it off the thread.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Hope this helps... https://www.makerspace.nyc/

They have two locations, Staten Island and Brooklyn...it might be a good model for your friend.

While not specifically for woodworking, it does have some tools...depends on what a member might need.

I briefly checked into it when I moved to Staten Island but it was just too much of a traffic headache to get to and I dropped it.

The site includes a video which tells the story of how/when it was formed...

I don't know what it provides for long-term projects and if they can stay on site but they do have some storage.

There is another place but it is mostly a "learn and build a project" place where a person is charged for a class-per-project. This one I can get more info on as it is very close to me, if it sounds like what you're looking for...

·
Premium Member
Frank
368 Posts
I have a cousin in Appleton, Wisconsin who belongs to the local group. You pay a monthly fee and have access to anything in the shop. I saw one person building a plane. All equipment is donated. The have metal and wood equipment. Computer classes are taught also. You would have to check google to find if there is one near you.

Frank

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I thought James Watt was associated with one down in Sydney? I know we lost Derek Willis to one in the UK as he said he was going tofocus on it instead of this forum. Maybe you could try pming him. He's come back a couple of times when I reposted one of his threads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.