Router Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I'm new to routing. My wife bought me an incra system for my birthday. I have a number of wall mounted iPads in the house for home automation and was going to make picture frame style frames for them. however, I would like to have a go at making something like this:

It doesn't need the cut-out on the bottom (I will just make a hole to feed the cable through as the power supplies are in basement or attic).

I bought a $12 dummy iPad (for store displays) so I can use that in the workshop instead of a $300-400 device and have to worry about scratching it, dropping it, etc.

So basically, I need to make a frame that is an exact fit and about 1/4-inch thick (with a solid back). I'm planning to do it from a single piece of wood and route out the entire center area, leaving 1/8-inch for the back.

I can't figure out how to make something 1/4-inch bigger than a template (the iPad) and then cut 1/4-inch inside that. My router is under-mounted and I would prefer to use it like that while I hone my skills (and then move on to handheld use).

Clearly, with a flush trimming bit, I can cut the material to be the exact same size as the iPad, but how do I get it 1/4 wider on all sides? Can I get a bearing that has a diameter that has a 1/4-inch larger radius? Once I've figure this out, I then need to figure out how to cut 1/4 inch inside that, using the outside edge of the new piece as the template .

Could someone point me in he right direction?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
A collar cutter system will do it. Say a 1" collar and a 1/2" cutter. That offset will make the pattern 1/4" bigger all around.

·
Retired Moderator
16,386 Posts
MLCS Shaper Cutter Accessories
I would go with a handheld plunge router for the hollowing out job, otherwise you would have to lower the board onto a spinning bit which is something I never recommend.

·
Super Moderator
6,786 Posts
:)
United States, welcome to Router Forums, glad to have you join us, I'm positive the members of the community would be more than willing to answer any questions you have :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts