Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Rick
17,596 Posts
Tom I think this is a great subject. I would love to be able to supplement my old age income with a cnc at some point, so I'm paying attention.

I'm terrible at such things, so in my case it's wishful thinking for the most part

· Registered
Rick
17,596 Posts
Good point John . I would just like to make enough to pay the machine off , but seeing as I'll have between 15 to 20K for what I want, and I doubt very much that it could be a accomplished for a hobby machine sideline business. I'll be quite happy to have it as a hobby though, as I've always wanted one.

Never mind the wear and tear, but I'm curious as to how much power would be consumed over a 12 hour cut with dust extraction going the whole time. Imagine a vacuum table going too?
I doubt I could even recover that in the sale :(

· Registered
Rick
17,596 Posts
I have been meaning to ask this question for some time. Say you make a sign, if you sell it could you be infringing on someone's patent?

Say someone wants the Edmonton oilers logo, or your making a sign with a known slogan, if it's not for personal use or a gift, I believe you can be sued?

· Registered
Rick
17,596 Posts
Perhaps if @patlaw sees this thread he might respond, but I haven't seen him active in a while. I believe he is a patent lawyer.

Having said that, I agree with David in that it wouldn't be a patent infringement but a trademark infringement.
Guys I meant to say trademark , but couldn't remember what it was called. I see some people on Sharks Tank get tuned in real quick when they mention using someone's logos etc.

· Registered
Rick
17,596 Posts
Thank you for starting this thread Tom, and thank you all for sharing your Knowledge, as I may have to really pay attention now .

I just had a major curve ball thrown at me , as I’m about to get laid off after 30 years of service , and never seen it coming. How I would have done things differantly had I known this was coming .
If all goes well , there will be severance pay. My health is not great , as I’m down to one eye , and that puts a guy out of all the decent paying jobs , like the mines etc.
I’d be lucky to get a job around here that pays minimum wage and 32 hours a week . No one wants full time employees anymore, as then they have to pay benefits .

My idea was to invest in a cnc like Scott’s , and take a chance on that . Hopefully I don’t end up putting myself in a worse position.
If I could make a little better imcome than a job that pays minimum wage I’d be happy . And I’d actually enjoy what I’m doing ,and don’t have to make 60K a year to survive . I don’t mind Kraft dinner lol .
I was debating to splice fibre , but the local company here really prefers younger guys , so I think that’s out . I hate routine anyways , so that occupation would drive me crazy at best .

My coworkers think I’m nuts investing in a cnc router table , but I believe it may be my savour.
This is certainly a tough one

· Registered
Rick
17,596 Posts
Good luck with your career change, I have faith in you!

A friend of mine down here bought a laser engraver after he got laid off, that was 9 years ago, he's cranking out trophies, name tags and personalized yeti. I don't know how great of living he's making off it but he has a store front now and a few employees, so it's not too bad.

I left IBM 10 years ago to become handyman. Now I'm a master handyman with an apprentice, who's now capable of running most jobs himself.
Thanks for your words of encouragement Everend.
The more I think about it , I have the best people in the world right here at this very forum to mentor me . :smile:
Looks like my garage is getting insulated whether I like it or not lol

· Registered
Rick
17,596 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation Rick. Will say a prayer that things work out in the long run for you.
Thanks JJ . I pretty much created my own mess here . I had every chance to do things right, but messed it up royally . I seriously had no idea this was coming, and was hoping to stay with them till my mid 60’s.
Saying that though, I’ve been wanting a change . So maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

Thanks Joe. This is to funny , as I wrote the same thing you did before I knew you posted. Thanks , as that’s gotta be a sign right there lol
Hey Rick, I'm really sorry to hear that. But this may end up being the greatest blessing in disguise! I listened to one of Bill Griggs podcast/YouTube videos, He had a guy on there who lost everything in hurricane Katrina and with the last of his resources, He bought a CNC.... It had
a happy ending! Good luck and I can't wait till next year when you're on here bragging about all the work you've been doing!

· Registered
Rick
17,596 Posts
hey Rick, sorry to hear about your pending layoff. If you don't find anything, you can always come down to Ontario and caddy for me on the golf course. Can't promise I'll pay you but you'll get the occasional beer on me. And the upside is, you won't have to worry too much about insulation, cause we're slightly warmer in the winter than you are.
Thanks Charley . That Beer invite sounds awfully tempting lol .

And Tom , thank you for the advice, much appreciated! I will certainly make a very hard effort at this . I talked to my tax lady down the street, and she thinks this startup company is a great idea . It’s funny as when I talked to her she also mentioned establishing a business name. . I’ll think of one once my head clears , and I’m out of shock :)

I have to say guys , it’s almost like divine intervention that I’m here at this forum , as I had no idea my life would go this direction when I joined here .
Funny how things work out

· Registered
Rick
17,596 Posts
Thank you guys , I really mean it. I’m in shock and am having a hard time wiping tears away when I read your posts .
As I mentioned, I brought this upon myself ,as I didn’t really see an end . If things go well , the company is being very generous with there buy outs . This was a voluntary lay off, as I had a choice , but the alternative left a lot of questions, so it was time to move on .
I will always love the company ,and will always be available if the new guys have issues trouble shooting .

Anyways on a positive one, I know a former Marine from the USA that said something that has always resonated with me .
“Improvise, Adapt and Overcome”

· Registered
Rick
17,596 Posts
Rick,

take what you can get til you fall into something, be it woodworking or something else. Just go with the flow and you'll fall into something that'll work. Don't overlook anything.

You won't get rich with a CNC, but you might be a whole lot happier.

Never did I ever think I would carve Polish Eagles for a profit and attend Polish Festivals. It just takes one good idea, product, or the right person to cross your path.

And you know you can always call on any number of us, if only to talk.

Scott ........ we might have just found your summer intern. lol
Thanks John. I know a guys not getting rich by any means , but I was hoping to make enough to keep my head above water . I just can’t see a future at HomeDepot lol.
I enjoy things that are cnc and wood related ,so this seems like a viable option

· Registered
Rick
17,596 Posts
I just re-read this string. It is full of great input. Read it if you have any thoughts about making money with woodworking and/or CNC.

I got to thinking about hooking up with a CNC owner and doing marketing for them. The missing person in failing businesses is the marketing person. An appropriate percentage would probably work and would keep me off the streets and out of trouble. Just thinkin'.

I'm going to revive this post from time to time to keep it visible.

@RainMan 2.0 How are you doing on this? Easy to get off track, isn't it. :wink:
Tom , thankfully I’m still employed till Aug-16-2019 . In the mean time I’m trying to save as much $ as I can , and finish projects inside my home.
Will have lots of time on my hands to finish the garage , and then start a cnc build thread .
In theory I could start sooner , but I’m trying to see where I stand financially after I’m layed off . My Shares keep diving , and my company pension is tanking again . Not good timing .

I wish I had room for a 4x8 machine . I talked to cncrouterparts recently, and for an extra $800 I can have a kit built for a 5x5 instead of a 4x4 .
That will help by accommodating sheets of Baltic birch in that size if it’s required, plus a little more real estate is always welcome . I don’t know if an extra foot is going to be detrimental to the gantry stiffness , but I’m hoping not , as they do use the same extruded aluminum for there 5x10 model.
I could accommodate an 8x4 cnc router table if I jettisoned the laser engraver , but I’m planning on getting it fixed while I’m at it .

I realize you don’t get rich with a cnc , but all I want to do is keep my head above water.
After the smoke clears I’m sure I’ll be into it for around 20K ,and thats building the electronics myself and a cheap eBay water cooled spindle and vfd . Will likely never pay the machine itself off,but will sure have fun learning .
Ive always wanted one regardless , and I’m sure it’s something I’m going to enjoy, so that alone is worth investing in one.
I may be able to find a part time job if all else fails , but I’d sure like to work from home.
This was a great idea for a thread ,and I like all the inspiration you guys have here

· Registered
Rick
17,596 Posts
Rick,

Right now I have 6 custom orders waiting, 2 designs to create, and 2 displays to keep up. One of them sold 8 items off the shelf yesterday. Now i gotta replace (make) those along with with today's sales, if any.

For the next 2 1/2-3 weeks I'll be cutting and finishing 12 to 20 hours a day and napping on the couch (chesterfield for you) during the night on some days.

Plus .... getting the new machine up and running and learning about it. Working on the bed now. Might as well do it right the first time.

Plus.......... it's deer season. Priorities!!!!!

This retirement thing is getting out of hand.
Sounds like you need to hire employees. Just kidding.

It’s a lot easier to work for yourself than someone else though . Especially knowing you can hit that couch on your terms lol.
I talked to my tax lady , and she said I can write off earning for up to five years . Then if it’s not showing a profit, there’s no more write offs .
Would be nice to at least pay these toys off

· Registered
Rick
17,596 Posts
@RainMan 2.0

Sorry to hear about the lay off. Been through those and there is definitely a better life on the other side.

Don’t forget to look into programs that might be available through the government. Not sure how it works in the North but around here there are opportunities for learning new job skills etc., possible seed money for starting a small business etc.
and take heed of all the valuable comments in this thread.

We are all rooting for you.
It’s unfortunate that I’m almost blind in my right eye , as they’ve built another mine a few hours from me , and they just hired my neighbors son who is 53 .
But there not going to have someone in poor health driving a 2 million dollar truck .
I’m pretty much left with working for myself , or possibly HomeDepot. I would much prefer to see if I can make it at home though .
Just walking around those stores shopping kills my back , never mind actually working there .
The products that would sell the best in my head , may not move at all . We have a lot of wealthy people an hour north of me in Fairmont and Invemere , and it would be nice to make a journey there once in a while .
I know your not allowed to park on the side of the road anymore , as there’s a big pullout where I’ve seen vendors before .
May have to rely more on e-commerce

· Registered
Rick
17,596 Posts
Well I had a good conversation with a gentleman from the Creston area yesterday .
I was repairing his line and asked what he had done for a living . Apparently he sold Salmon and other seafood on the side of the road .
Only worked in the summer ,and on a long weekend he was selling over $17,000.
Had other vendors in other towns that also sold for him , and he’d take a cut . Earned him a few hundred K yearly .
He mentioned you do not need a licence to sell if your out of city limits . That’s why I used to see him on highway pullouts during the summer .

So I mentioned my idea with wood carvings , and he told me a funny story .
The Indian reserve going to the States is on the highway , so these two Indians would sit outside selling woodcarvings by there store .
One would sit there painting while the other had a knife and some carving tools etc .
Well it turns out all there stuff was made via cnc at night , and they’d just capitalize on it by saying it was all done by hand lol.
I guess the tourists just ate this stuff up . Gotta give them kudos

1 - 16 of 16 Posts