Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Tom,

I don't want to, or have to, make a living with my CNC. I already built one company - sold it off - and got out of the rat race. I'm very content doing the things you say I shouldn't do. One machine will not make a good living, or, in my opinion, a mediocre one. Multiple machines must be run constantly making product that is saleable.

You are right in that the serious money is in good volume, but not real high volume. Gotta find that "niche". Doing a bunch of personal stuff is just a hobby - hence the term starving artist. But keep in mind, not all want to churn out carloads of product. I make enough to buy more materials, and supplement my other income. Basically it keeps me as busy as I want to be. I don't want to rent a shop, pay all the insurances, buy more equipment and vehicles, have (god forbid) employees again. We are debt free and I'm now enjoying those 6 Saturdays in a week, but I still run a successful business, if only in my eyes.

· Registered
4,380 Posts
A $5000 machine is a hobby machine, pure and simple. I have more than that in my setup - call it an almost serious hobby machine. You only get professional rates when you use professional equipment. My wife's place has either 3 or 4 of these pro machines, the cheapest is $80K, and runs past $150K. They run 2 - 10 hour shifts, and it's still only a part of the whole business. They've offered me a job a few different times doing various things, because of my background and experience. I was willing to work 11-2 with Oct, Nov, and Dec off for hunting season. Guess that wasn't good nuff.

Anybody operating in that class of the CNC world ain't hanging around our Forum.

What has been suggested is way beyond what most here will, can afford, or want to do.

I think you have the wrong impression on just how much (or little) one of these hobby machines will put out - no matter how much of a sales program you put together.

Tom, you're just way above our level with all this corporate mentality stuff. And you should charge by the word - I'd be your bookkeeper.

In a nutshell, one machine is not going to make even a decent living - let alone a good one. It can be a supplement, though.

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Rick,

The actual juice usage is basically not really noticeable from the time when I was running the office from here. The spindle is 220 so that doesn't take much, and then whatever your vacuum and power tools consume. And remember, it's not running all the time, either. It's nothing worth worrying about, at least not here in the USA. I ran her almost 2 weeks non stop during Xmas last year and it was nothing worth worrying about.

Any $$ I get out of it I consider a "bonus." More bits and accessories. Oh, and more bullets and an occasional new firearm. And it helps pay a big part of our deer hunting lease.

I get a lot of the text sign material free from the wife's work place. They use 4 x 8 sheets for everything and the maintenance guy there saves me the big cut offs. You would have a fit if you saw what they throw out. The carving wood or Corafoam I gotta make or buy. But if you ever saw my wood piles... And I still end up buying a lot of the thicker pine panels already glued up. I can't do it that cheap.

There's a buck (Loonie) here and there once you get started. You just gotta find it.

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Rick,
Yes you can get your t*t in a wringer if you copy a trademarked image!!!! I posted a Harley Davidson sign on Etsy - took about 2 weeks and I (and quite a few others)got 2 nasty emails. One from Etsy and the other from HD legal. Not that I won't do something for someone I know, but not openly advertised. You gotta watch it.

Now you can pay a fee to the trademark holder and a % of each sale. But you'd never sell enough of them to pay the fees, unless Tom markets them for you.

Reactions: DesertRatTom

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Rick,

take what you can get til you fall into something, be it woodworking or something else. Just go with the flow and you'll fall into something that'll work. Don't overlook anything.

You won't get rich with a CNC, but you might be a whole lot happier.

Never did I ever think I would carve Polish Eagles for a profit and attend Polish Festivals. It just takes one good idea, product, or the right person to cross your path.

And you know you can always call on any number of us, if only to talk.

Scott ........ we might have just found your summer intern. lol

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Rick,

Right now I have 6 custom orders waiting, 2 designs to create, and 2 displays to keep up. One of them sold 8 items off the shelf yesterday. Now i gotta replace (make) those along with with today's sales, if any.

For the next 2 1/2-3 weeks I'll be cutting and finishing 12 to 20 hours a day and napping on the couch (chesterfield for you) during the night on some days.

Plus .... getting the new machine up and running and learning about it. Working on the bed now. Might as well do it right the first time.

Plus.......... it's deer season. Priorities!!!!!

This retirement thing is getting out of hand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts