Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Great videos...! ! !

Reminds me of my father making short knife blades from hacksaw blades. He would make a slot in a dowel shaped piece of wood, then put the blade in, then jam it into a piece of conduit for a handle. He would sharpen it to cut leather for shoe soles. Blade wouldn't be any longer than an inch...sometimes straight, sometimes curved. He had a few made for various cuts.

The good ole days, eh...?

Reactions: TenGees and tomp913

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I made a Coffin Smoothing plane, which has many of the characteristics used in making this plane in the video. The problem with a coffin plane is that you must work with the grain and not across the grain. To use it across the grain the iron must be skewed to prevent tearout. Making a spring angle skewed plane accomplishes two things. First, by the tilt of the sole of the plane, it severs the wood cleaner (with less tearout) because there is a reduced scraping action, and more of a slicing of the fibers. The second beauty of this plane is the skewed iron allows it to be used across grain in the same manor. Also being it has a skewed iron it has a tendency to pull the plane body into the wood as you use it, for a more uniform cut. A master woodworker might also have a matched set of these planes so he/she could work the wood from right to left with one plane and left to right with the other plane.

My making a coffin plane https://www.routerforums.com/project-plans-how/93609-coffin-smoothing-plane-how-make.html#post1178193

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Great videos...! ! !

Reminds me of my father making short knife blades from hacksaw blades. He would make a slot in a dowel shaped piece of wood, then put the blade in, then jam it into a piece of conduit for a handle. He would sharpen it to cut leather for shoe soles. Blade wouldn't be any longer than an inch...sometimes straight, sometimes curved. He had a few made for various cuts.

The good ole days, eh...?
I've done that too - the "handle" was something on the order of a tongue depressor, one on each side the blade and then wrapped with electrical tape or whipped with nylon cord for a better grip. The ones in the attachment kind of take that to the next level (and then some).

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.