Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
be gratefull for views on whether it is worth the time for a newbee, and where and how :mad: to proceed if so

·
Registered
782 Posts
i have 4 router tables and i went and bought the one that rick and bob uses i bought the top and base and all the fence's also got the guides i made mine out of malemine works great i got the one with the vaccume ports sure works good del schisler here is the address http://www.oak-park.com/ click on the us map and it will take you to the pages

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Hi Cherokee
Theres lots of discussion threads on here about tables and making them - just do a search - here's a link to a recent one:

http://www.routerforums.com/showthread.php?t=2014

There are a couple of links in the above thread for plans for tables and those links will also lead you to others.

I think making a table could be a good way to learn or brush up on some basic skills, but it's a matter of how comfortable you are and how involved/complex you want it to be. Some guys tables are true works of art that I'd be proud to have in in my living room! Others are very basic/almost ugly - but get the job done well. It's ALL good if it does what YOU need it to do.
Can also get you copies of another set of plans that are rather elaborate and are mentioned in that link from Woodworkers Journal - too elaborate for my needs, but good working drawings. If you want those, send me a PM.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
cherokee said:
be gratefull for views on whether it is worth the time for a newbee, and where and how :mad: to proceed if so
Hello cherokee, Welcome to the RouterForums :)

I have 3 Router Tables (2 are Company made Steel and Aluminum and 1 is a Sears Portable table top mount that was given to me), I have waited until my Skills with Routing improved before making my own. Which I have been using a Router now for a little over 2 years and bought the 2 tables mentioned above. Now that my skills have somewhat improved I feel I am now capable of making the table I want or atleast purchasing a table top and making the Cabinet for it. More than likely I will buy the Oak Park table with all of the stuff with it and make my own Cabinet. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Cherokee, welcome to the forums. I too bought the table top from Oak Park and will make my own base for it. It depends on how much work you want to do. :eek: There is a lot of work involved in making your own table top. I guess I'm lazy, I'd rather buy one for a starter top. :D Anyway, welcome to the forums.

Dave
the "Doctor"

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,908 Posts
Cherokee,

I've made a couple of router tables, and they are a good first project. Just remember, your first table should probably be a simple design, and allow you to discover how you will use it. I started out with a double sink cut out from my kitchen remodel, and made a bench top style cabinet underneath it. I then played with the height, until I found out what worked best. Then, since I was doing bigger pieces, I opted to increase the square footage of my tabletop on my current router table.

I would not commit huge dollars to your first table until you play with a simpler one for a while. either grab yourself a decent base plate and inset it into a homebuilt table top, or pick up the oak park table and plate, and A & I supply table top and plate, pricecutter.com, etc., and see what works. Then, when you've figured out what you need (not necessarily what looks 'cool') you can then build the router table of you dreams!

Good luck, and make sure you keep us updated,
Doug

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is a subject on routers that I can talk about...I have a table which I got from Eagle America, purchased just the top from them, and at Home Depot purchased a scratch & dent bathroom vanity cabinet, it has a open cabinet and a drawer on the bottom...I added a 2nd drawer about mid way, I was using a m12v then, and it had plenty of room to hang, I wasn't sure about my own skills of making the top, but this set up worked nice, the cabinet was 30.00, and it is solid, really works nicely....Dennis

·
Registered
785 Posts
cheap, easy and useful

Hi Cherokee,

I'm a very new woodworker (55 yrs old) and had some concerns at first. What I ended up doing is finding a simple router table plan online (and I do mean simple) and out of scrap pieces, made a useable (ugly but useful) table.

It clamps to my workmate. I use a skil 1825 fixed base in the table and use the plunge router for table top.

I didn't even have a fence at first, found an old messed up wood mitre box and turned that into a fence, couple of slots, wing nuts and away she goes.

I've built several frames using this table to route the patterns on the material. It worked like a charm.

Don't be afraid to be adventuresome, it's a great way to learn, and btw, I now know what my next router table will be because of my experience with this cheapo but first (therefore much loved) table.

karateed

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi Cherokee

I made something like Karateed.
Instead of talking, here are the pictures.
The fence is not on the picture but I have it.
If you would like more pictures or details, please go ahead.

Regards
niki

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hi all,

Well, table 2 is well in the works...I've got pictures on my cell phone, but as it is with technology, I can't get them off quite yet......so......once they are off I'll post them. This table will be much better than my first table. So far I've only got the table top done, insert for router and base. It's a portable router table, not full blown, that one is for next year or maybe year after. Anyway, it's been very enjoyable so far, made lots and lots of mistakes on the way which means I'm probably learning valuable tips and tricks for the future. I'll post them soon.

KarateEd......:)

·
Registered
3,165 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
My latest router table

Here's the promised pictures of my newest router table. Please take into consideration that I've really just started to work wood. So far this project has been a great pleasure.

Anyway, all of it is made of scrap wood just lying around. The table top is an old shelf my company was going to throw away, it's actually laminated press board, the trim is oak from a pallet, the plywood is a throwaway object from our local theatre group.

I'm currently working on the fence an it too is made up of 'scrap' wood.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures and hopefully my work will get better, if it gets worse, I'll have to quit....

KarateEd...... :D

Attachments

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
It looks like a highly functional table to me Ed. This is the perfect way to get started. Good job!

·
Retired Moderator
5,688 Posts
Ed,

Nothing like a nicew Bob & Rick style router table to get started on the right track. You did a nice job and put useful resources to great use.

Can't wait to see your next project.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Thanks very much...I'm very happy with this as first major project...the fence is almost done...I'll post oics next week...wish I'd known how much fun this was years ag....:)

·
Registered
785 Posts
98% finished and still going strong

Hi folks,

Well, after working over the weekend finishing my router fence, featherboards, etc. I'm ready to post a few more pics of the 98% finished product. Between finishing this off and insulating my tin ceiling in my 'shop', I'm worn out today. I needed to get back to work just to rest...LOL....anyway, hope you enjoy these and yes.....it is still made of all scrap wood so I'm pleased to be able to help out the environment and the plight of some tree that will not be seen and not buried.

It has been a blast doing this....next project....a picture frame for my daughter....I'll use the table to do most of the routing. I make the frames completely from scratch, so it'll be much easier this time.

BTW, I used the 50% finished version of my table to route the fence for the featherboards. Therein lies my first use of my new table.

I'm anticipating making a permanent table in about 2 years from now...but maybe sooner, we'll see.

KarateEd.....

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow! Karateed, that's a really impressive job there. Great stuff. Damn, now you got me thinking about doing this for myself. I need a bigger table for the bigger drum shells I have to rout the edges on and I really ought to make it myself. You've given me some real inspiration here!! :D

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Ed

Looks good to me :)

May I sugguest a item, please take this the right way :), you will need to split the fence in two parts or add a new front fence parts that are split,this will let you put in and use bigger bits without taking the fence off and recutting the hole in the center.
Also put a bigger hole in the back fence,
i.e. 1 3/4" wide by 2 1/4" tall
You can use the track you now have to hold the front fence on and it will let you move it to side to side.

Bj :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kudos and bj, I don't ever take suggestions the wrong way. I don't know anything or almost anything about woodworking so any suggestions are welcome. I'm wondering if you could provide a small sketch on what you mean for the fence. I have a feeling you're taking about a split fence for some special functions but am not sure. Also, if you're talking about the hole at the back of the fence, I cut it that size to fit my vacumm. The other hole in front of that one fits all the bits I currently have. I just did it by the article I had but I'm not sure if I'm understanding your instructions, been a long day and kinda tired so it's probably me.

Thanks all for the kind words, encouragement and suggestions. That's what I feel this forum is all about.

KarateEd......:)

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Ed, a picture is worth a thousand words. Check out this link: http://www.routerforums.com/5014-post12.html I will post better photos soon. In the left photo you can see the solid fence on top and a gap between the lower sliding faces. In the right photo you will see 4 small adjusting knobs that lock them in place. Being able to adjust the size of the opening really helps with dust collection and keeping your work lined up right. It's easy to add them to your fence. When you do, make the hole in your fence bigger to clear dust and debris easier and faster.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts