Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Router Guys
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When building cabinets or shelving, you require a dado cut to hold the shelves. Often the size of this board can exceed the size of your router table. In this router tip we will show you a safe and easy method of cutting a dado in a long board. When using a table fence and cutting a dado the fence is always on the right hand side to ensure the rotation of the cutter pushes the stock into the fence.

Click here to see today's tip

·
Registered
30 Posts
Another way to do it is to stand a piece of the material on edge where you want the dado. Clamp 2 straight boards against the sides of the piece. Remove the standing piece and use a flush bit with the bearing using the 2 pieces as guides. You dont need to worry on sizing this way.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
This tip addresses the exact problem I will be working on as soon as I get my router table built so that I can work from my wheelchair. (I am also known on the forum as th-alton. Ask my computer or the routerforum server why I have two screen names.) I am building shelves for my office using 2 x 10 sides and 1 x 10 shelves with variable and changeable shelf spacing. My plan is to make jigs and use a hand-held router. I am still debating whether to simple make 3/4 wide by 3/8 deep dados or use a 3/4 radius round nose bit and round the ends of the shelves with a 3/4 daimeter bull nose or 3/8 radius roundover. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
mftha

You may want to take a look at this jig, it works with out errors.
And it's a quick and easy one to make...just need some 1/2" or 3/4" MDF stock, put in a slot and you have the jig. see snapshots....

http://www.routerforums.com/showthread.php?t=2711

Bj :)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
bobj3

Thanks. As a result of your suggestion I am rethinking my procedures. (very high praise from me) However, I already have the wood at the final width, and I have no table or circular saw so I cannot cut a dado in 2x wide stock then rip it in half.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi mftha

You may want to take a look at this Grizzly Saw, It's a great saw and I use it all the time on plywood 1/8" to 3/4" , 4' x 8' can be a pain to cut up and this little saw works great for that and many other jobs.

G8598 18V 5-1/2" Cordless Saw Kit
http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/G8598

1 - 8 of 8 Posts