Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to make some Trivets for christmas gifts. As I am new to the router and only understand basic principles, I am looking for a couple of tips.

1. I want to round the edges but the material will be too thin for the bearing to have anything to ride on. I have come up with putting a guide board below it and running along it. Is this the easiest (sp?) way?

2. When I cut the parrallel grooves should I just clamp a straight edge and move for each line?

Also, anybody have unusual designs for trivets. I did a search and came up with very little info.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
The information you are seeking is largely answered by the Rotozip template kit mentioned in the next post, well worth the price. View it here: http://www.routerforums.com/36134-post1.html
I bought mine at Lowes a few years ago.
Another style of trivet is worth a look. This one is simply crossed bars that lock together with dovetails.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi petersenj20

(1.) this is when the router table fence will come in to play,but if you don't have one the guide board will work just fine :)

(2.) aging the fence will do the work for this type of cut,just cut out some spacer blocks on the table saw, make your 1st pass on the router table,then put your spacer block in place and move the fence back to the right spot then make your 2nd pass ,3rd space,reset the fence aging, and just keep going until your done.

Bob and Rick says this all the time down use a ruler and it's true use a spacer block and they will look great when your done.
Bob has a tool I really like it's called a RUBBER Ruler :)

http://www.pbs.org/routerworkshop/

703 - Trivets, Trivets
http://www.routerworkshop.com/S700.html

Bj :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got my first one made. This is also my first actual use of the router, other than just rounding a couple of corners and trying out a couple of bits. (Once I got the proper collet for the thing. I have an HDC trim router.) A long way from perfect, but I enjoyed making it, and may get the e-plans from the Workshop. The circle and spiral grooves would be unique.

I used a straight edge clamped to the workpiece and freehanded the ends. Spacing and uniformity suffered, but looks good enough for a small gift.

I have been unable to locate the rotozip template mentioned after multiple searches with Google and such. Have any links by chance? Or pictures. Maybe I could make one if I knew what it looked like.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
I will try to locate the part number for the template kit. If it is no longer available I have no problem posting a copy of the instructions (which is the important part) here on the forums. This is officialy on my to do list now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In an old issue of woodsmith magazine, there is a set of plans for making a square and a circular trivet. I think it is somewhere between issue 40 and 60. Am not where I can look it up. The plans use a series of spacers and stop blocks for a table mounted router.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts