Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a router Makita 3612 BR with several bits it is a 1/4 model 240 volts 1600 watts rpm 23000/min. Have never done anything with it. Appears almost new. Never done any routing so complete novice. Have experience working with circular saws,table logging saws, rise and fall. Love working with wood. Any advice regarding the correct working of this particular machine and what I should be able to, do with it be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
14,936 Posts
So far as I'm aware the 3612BR is a fixed speed 1/2" plunge router and I'm not aware that a 1/4" collet was ever available, only a reducer sleeve. It is a wonderful router for table use but because it isn't brilliant for hand held use because, like all high power fixed speed machines it gives one hell of a kick at start-up and if inadvertently the switch is in the ON position when plugging into the power point it's likely to fly off the bench!

·
Official Greeter
18,811 Posts
Welcome to our little neck of the woods, Jim.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
So far as I'm aware the 3612BR is a fixed speed 1/2" plunge router and I'm not aware that a 1/4" collet was ever available, only a reducer sleeve. It is a wonderful router for table use but because it isn't brilliant for hand held use because, like all high power fixed speed machines it gives one hell of a kick at start-up and if inadvertently the switch is in the ON position when plugging into the power point it's likely to fly off the bench!
Great advice Harry, that is something that I often forget to say, some of them will take off at start up if you don't hang onto them so a good point to bring up. Neville

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Hi Jim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts