Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First time post:

I just bought a Makita RP0900 router for a few jobs I need to do.

I'm wondering whether the black part in the picture is the 8mm collet cone. It came with a 6mm collet cone and there doesn't seem to be any way to secure a 6mm bit without removing this one. It's jammed in pretty tight and I don't want to force it and break it, hence the question.

It also doesn't make a lot of sense why the 6mm collet would come separately if it does have to be removed, as 6mm is more common for bits than 8mm. The instructions don't specifically say to remove it, but there really doesn't seem to be a way to secure the bit without doing so.

I have a fair few hand tools. Any suggestions on what to use to remove it, if this is what I should do, are welcome.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi,

First time post:

I just bought a Makita RP0900 router for a few jobs I need to do.

I'm wondering whether the black part in the picture is the 8mm collet cone. It came with a 6mm collet cone and there doesn't seem to be any way to secure a 6mm bit without removing this one. It's jammed in pretty tight and I don't want to force it and break it, hence the question.

It also doesn't make a lot of sense why the 6mm collet would come separately if it does have to be removed, as 6mm is more common for bits than 8mm. The instructions don't specifically say to remove it, but there really doesn't seem to be a way to secure the bit without doing so.

I have a fair few hand tools. Any suggestions on what to use to remove it, if this is what I should do, are welcome.

Thanks.

Edit: I should add that the nut seemed to be overtightened when I undid it and that the guy at the tool shop actually upsold me this one when I initially wanted an M3600G. He said this one would last longer, but it seems the only thing that could need replacing is the brushes which I would do myself if the need arises. Considering it's double the power and accepts 12mm bits, I'm probably going to go back and exchange it, getting a $30 refund in the process.

Does this sound like a good idea?

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum
You should have like this The collet will snap in you can push it out with your hands replace with other collet and snap in

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'll have another go now. It really does seem to be jammed in there.

Also, to be sure, the black part is indeed the 8mm collet?

Out of interest, do many bits come with 8mm shanks to warrant keeping it?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's stuck tight, and I'm trying to remove it, to no avail thus far, with a set of needle nose pliers. I've also tried jimmying it from underneath with a small screwdriver and a few other tools I use to remove electronic components from circuit boards.

As you can maybe see in the new picture, the pliers have slightly damaged the collet. I'm not that concerned if I can get it out without damaging the thread, but should I proceed?

Attachments

·
Registered
715 Posts
If it is new, take it back. It should come with two easily interchangeable collet cones. Around here it comes with 6,35mm (1/4") and optionally 8mm. It is not powerful enough for 12mm or 1/2".
Oddly, although we have been metric for decades, router bits here are predominantly Imperial. But in Europe, 8 mm seems to be common - eg Bosch has a range. Hardier than 6mm/6,35mm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's frustrating. I'm in Australia and there's 40 degree heat for the next two days, then rain, then the missus gets back from interstate to no cabinet and all of my stuff still over the floor in the spare room and some ply boards in the lounge room where they won't warp.

NB: I'm not a slob (although I'm not renowned for being tidy either); we just moved house and don't have enough storage space.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it worth my while to take it back, exchange it for the M3600G (Makita MT series) instead and get $30 back?

The guy in the store insisted this one's better (which doesn't say much for the other). The other's 1/2" and twice the power. I'm fine with maintenance myself (I used to repair electronics for work - it's why I had all the tools for extracting the immovable collet - I just applied a heat gun to the outer sleeve and still no dice).

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. It looks to me like someone damaged the collet buy over tightening without a bit installed. I would try taking it back to the store and exchanging it..Maybe someone exchanged it already and the store put it back on the shelf. Yes you should have been able to initially loosen the nut by hand.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hi, the 3600G sounds like better value for money. I have no experience with the model. It looks like a middle-of-the-road model, slotting in between the 900 and the RP1800X.

I just remembered that one of the guys on the forum had some issues with one of the 3600 models - once locked in a plunge, there was some rocking up and down around the locking point, making depth of cut imprecise. Insist on opening it up and checking for this problem before you buy - may be unique to the North American models, but I don't know.

I have had a 3612C for about 20 years, and recently bought an RP3201, because the price was about to almost double - have not even tried it out yet.

·
Official Greeter
19,748 Posts
"get $30 back ".

Did you get it from Cash Converters???

BTW. welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm about to commence routing. Should I ask whether a 6mm rebate with a 12mm bit is achievable here, or make a new post? My mate's a joiner and he said yes, but he's a joiner and I'm a novice.

I've no 6mm bit (the other router came with one and I forgot to grab another today), it's 45 degrees tomorrow and then it rains until my missus gets home from interstate. If she gets home and my stuff in the spare room's in cabinets (basically shelving with sides because I've got some 12mm ply to use) she'll be pretty happy.

Slightly more on topic: Total Tools seems far better than Sydney Tools. I've bought a couple of things from each now, and the guys at Sydney Tools really pushed the inferior, dearer router yesterday. Then this morning when I said the 8mm collet was stuck and I couldn't use the 1/4" they scoffed and told me 8mm is 1/4". They also tried to tell me that the nut's meant to be tight out of the box. It was said in a demeaning way, so that many people with only slightly less knowledge of power tools than me would have felt intimidated and not pursued the refund. Total Tools were the same price and the guy got it out and showed me the basics.

Anyway, feel free to answer my question re 6mm rebate or let me know whether I should start another post.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.