Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of trying to take my love of woodworking "up a notch". Considering the Mark Adams School of Woodworking for the weekend course on building a router table. After that I think I would have a pretty good sense if I am ready to take something more advanced. A year ago I heard Mark Adams at a Woodworking Show and he was good. He taught me a few things about Cabinetmaking.
So,my question to fellow member here on the forum, has anyone taken a class there and what did you thlnk?

Thanks in advance.

Marty

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Marty I think if your okay with whatever it cost go ahead and take the course. I live in TN. so That is to far away for me. We don't even have woodworking shows here. It's been at least 20 years since we had a show. :frown:

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
Most of the people who teach woodworking have videos on YouTube. I suggest you look up several and watch videos to get an idea about how they teach. Some teachers are really great, others hit me like fingernails on a chalkboard. I've thought of taking some classes and like Rob Cosman. He has some regularly scheduled online classes now at Rob Cosman's Online Workshop - Home There are many other instructors out there you could check out. I'm sure others can add their favorites to this.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have heard great things about Rob Cosman's class in Ontario if you want to improve your hand tool skills. I am thinking about taking this class by Charles Brock, the highland woodworker, on building a Maloof style rocking chair. Charles Brock Chairmaker. Great way to learn wood sculpting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sir, I was there in 2005 for a 2 week course! Course was with Marc and 3 other instructors. Fantastic!!!!!!!!
High quality learning, no 1st question to dumb, lots of hands on help. His wife runs the food service which was included. Lots to eat, ice cream machine etc, help yourself.
If you want to learn something to the best it can be made, well this is the place to go. I live in Canada and it wasn't cheap but worth every penny!

have fun, vance

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Hi Vance and welcome from western Canada.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
I have heard great things about Rob Cosman's class in Ontario if you want to improve your hand tool skills. I am thinking about taking this class by Charles Brock, the highland woodworker, on building a Maloof style rocking chair. Charles Brock Chairmaker. Great way to learn wood sculpting.
Hey Jamie.. @jemangin

A few years back I built a Maloof inspired rocker... and documented the build. You might find it of interest..

http://www.routerforums.com/project-plans-how/43515-maloof-inspired-rocking-chair-build.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all for the input. I have decided to take one of the classes and will decide which one will be for me in a few days. Its about a
8-9 hr drive for me. But, I have a sister that lives about 2 hours from the school. So, my intention is to stay with my sister both down and on the way back to break up the drive.

Tom, I am a YouTube woodworking video addict. I also have thought about taking Rob Cosman's online courses. But, I am not that into all the hand tool woodworking that he does. But, I would probably do his combination course, machine and hand tool.

What appeals to me about a week long course is that it is "immersion learning". A friend of mine and a excellent furniture maker took a bent wood rocking chair build course and got alot from that. He makes his living doing woodworking.

vance32
Thanks for your input too.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I have two WWing schools, Arrowmont and John C. Campbell, within a three hour drive but had to cross them off the list as being waaaaay out of the budget. If you can handle the cost and time, I say go and have fun while learning! Both schools are in the mountains and the drive to them would be worth the trip itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts