Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
I used MDF. MDF is really really flat. I laminated 2 pices of 24x48x3/4" MDF together. I did this in summer time on a real flat surface, checked it with a known good straight edge, and fiddled with it using shims where necessary to get it as flat as I possibly could right after glue-up. At an inch and a half thick, it's heavy, but it's VERY straight. :)
I pressed it with a plywood slab on top with 6 bags of tube sand on the plywood. At about 70 pounds each that was only 420 pounds but it has served me well thus far and I expect it to continue a long time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also used MDF. Two pieces of 3/4 laminated. I layed out where my miter track and t-track were going to be, and then after applying glue, I countersunk #8 screws on 6" spacing. You could also remove the screws after the glue has dried. I did this while the top rested on my tablesaw. It came out flat. Research suggested that plastic laminte on both sides was a good idea(supposedly resists warping/sagging). I did this and so far am very pleased with the result. I have also read about guys using baltic birch plywood, but have no experience to recommend or not to recommend it. Seems like it dosen't really matter what the material is as long as it stays flat. Have fun building your new top.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi.. I am building my own router table ( the one norm uses) and I have my top already completed except for putting laminate down. My question is where can I purchase the laminate? Is this something I can get at Home Depot or Lowes?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.