Router Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I do a fair amount of welding mig and tig those old gas welders are the best nice and clean DC. I used an old Lincoln at one of my jobs it had a straight 6 450 amp I wish I had that machine around today. Being retired I don't do much heavy stuff any longer so I guess I am good with what I have. I can build most of what I want. For Roofner this is the kind of portable drill press we had when I was still working. Hougen HMD904 Portable Magnetic Drill But I still wouldn't be with out a regular drill press it is a very versatile tool.
Wow! Sounds like you know your way around machinery. I'm just an old putzer but I agree with you about the regular drill press being an indispensable tool.

·
Registered
Theo
7,136 Posts
I just noticed your reference to welding up what you needed to get a job done. I like that attitude.
I\

I am a craftsman, not a woodworker, but one who like working with wood a lot. I have two project with top priority, in the near future. A hospital box - in case I have a sudden hospital visit, with essentials I did not have last time - extension cord and phone charger, salt substitute (the food was great, except there was absolutely no salt, so I'll fix that problem if it ever happens again), folding solitaire board, deck of cards, sketch book and pencils and pens, radio earphones. That should cover it. That will be out of cardboard, with a shoulder strip out of I don't know what yet.

The other top priority is I guess you would say is a sketch book. A couple of years ago I got about a dozen 70 page spiral notebooks, for sketch books. They were 25 cents each, at the start of the school year, never been able to nab any more, but got a fantastic deal on 5 packs of 3 ring binder paper, 150 sheets each. Don't really want to put them in a 3 ring binder, so will make a hollowed out wooden book to hold a pack at a time. This will be mostly wood, no metal at all, held with wood glue. The hinge will likely be stiff leather, possibly cloth, maybe will make some wooden hinges. Pondered long and hard about a latch, even considering a magnet, but really didn't want any metal in it. Then it hit me, velcro for the latch. Undecided if the front and back will be covered with cloth, or not; I've got an old recliner with naugahide, which will soon be tossed, might use that, certainly will beat having to hunt a naugahide down, kill it, skin it, then tan the hide. Regardless, each project will be decorative painted, subjects unknown at this time. Kind of a toss up just now for dragon, wizard, flower(s). but subject to change at any time.

A craftsman uses his/her imagination for their projects.
d
k

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
When we build anything in wood. We start with general process the longer we practice these processes the easier they become. By learning new methods and better tools and jigs. Ultimately we want these process to become repeatable and improve accuracy. Some cases we can make jigs that work well. Table saw sled can be made in our shop and works well. Now dowel jig can be made but its hard to make a good shop made jig. So I bought a good jig accurate machined parts for easier repeatability.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts