Router Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to move my MDF panel sizing from my panel saw to my 5' x 12' CNC router. This will allow me to better optimize my sheet goods while ensuring correct panel size and squareness. We will be cutting 1/4" through 3/4" thick MDF boards using a 1/4" diameter, solid carbide, two flute, down cutting spiral bit. Since these are panels for 5-piece kitchen cabinet doors the edge quality doesn't have to be perfect as they are hidden inside the rail material grove. I think a chipbreaker bit would probably provide a good enough edge while allowing me to run at faster speeds. How much faster could I run with a chipbreaker bit as compared to a standard spiral bit? Any concerns either way with tool life or anything else? Thanks a lot.

Ken

· Registered
621 Posts
I am getting ready to move my MDF panel sizing from my panel saw to my 5' x 12' CNC router. This will allow me to better optimize my sheet goods while ensuring correct panel size and squareness. We will be cutting 1/4" through 3/4" thick MDF boards using a 1/4" diameter, solid carbide, two flute, down cutting spiral bit. Since these are panels for 5-piece kitchen cabinet doors the edge quality doesn't have to be perfect as they are hidden inside the rail material grove. I think a chipbreaker bit would probably provide a good enough edge while allowing me to run at faster speeds. How much faster could I run with a chipbreaker bit as compared to a standard spiral bit? Any concerns either way with tool life or anything else? Thanks a lot.

Ken
25% faster

Laser cutting head may be the future.

· Registered
133 Posts
We do this every day on a 4 x 8 Biesse. You should not only consider the edge surface but the face and back, too. We get excellent results using 1/4" compression bits. Both the face and the bottom are clean that way. In our experience, chip breaker bits are for rough cutting. We don't consider our cabinet parts as rough cutting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts