Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is so basic I think I may have known it an forgot it, but here goes. I have a Rockler table that has a solid fence with two adjustable fences. I like it fine. But I found I have to shim out the outfeed side with something-it will not adjust out. Okay. I can find some slim plastic I guess. BUT....how do I measure to take 1/16th or 1/8th off the edge of my board? I adjust the cutter out until its 1/16th proud of the infeed fence, right? What the hell do I use to measure 1/16th of an inch on the outfeed fence. I have a bad feeling this is an easy thing but my mind has slipped a cog. Thanks fellas. :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi, Birchwood: In order to take off material, using your router as a jointer, The bit must have the cutting edges lined up with the otfeed fence. This can be done with a straight edge or some straight wood. Holding the wood or straight edge from the out feed side, past the bit to the infeed fence, you can back the infeed fence back until
you can measure the distance you want with a ruler from the wood to the face of the infeed fence.
Woodnut65

·
Registered
26 Posts
this is not my original idea by any means.
But this is the router forum and the theme is never measure if there`s an easier way.
So why not fix a strip or two of laminate to the outfeed side of the fence?
Carpet tape should work.
My craftsman table(which will be replaced soon) has an extension insert in the outfeed side that can be moved out as needed(it`s one of the few features I like about it).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas. I KNEW I knew what to do!! Iowa Jim: I inherited a little Craftsman table and router. I have a roundover bit in it which I leave there, and then keep the table handy under a bench. I grab it, clamp it to the bench and BAM, I can quickly take an edge off a piece. I actuall LIKE the thing, modest as it is, and I really like the little light they have.A guy gave me the whole shebang, with some bits. I think the router is a pretty good little "worker" for what it is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah Birchwood it`s ok. What I don`t like is the crummy sheetmetal extension wings that fold down on the ends instead of staying straight. I`ve straightened and aligned them so many time they will break off from metal fatigue one of these days?
I have considered taking a piece of MDF about 3 ft long and cutting out the center to fit that table. I have a craftsman router in it, that only takes 1/4" bits.
I`ll probably keep it to use as you describe.
But I need a machine that will run 1/2" bits as well, so will build another table and get another router.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.