Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning to our nation's true heroes....those who died in combat, or from combat.....they are sleeping in the arms of our Lord.

Today is Memorial Day. Today is the day we honor and thank you for giving up your life in order that we may live ours as a free nation.

Today may be the "official" day of rememberance set aside by our government, but it's not the only day of rememberance. Your families love and miss you each and every day. Your comrades in arms will never forget you.

I hope you all know your sacrifice was not in vain. We are truly a grateful nation. The debt we owe each of you can only be repaid by our individual actions to protect and serve each other and this nation.

I want to take this opportunity to thank a man I never had the privilege to meet. I'm honored to share his last name. Rest in peace Uncle Tom Jenkins. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to live as a free man.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I believe that an Australian war memorial simply says:

"We gave our today for your tomorrow"

And lest I forget my comrades from E battery, 12 Marines:

David Felt, PFC USMC, KIA Aug 1965
John A Girod, PFC USMC, KIA Feb 1966
Peter P Domiano, Lt USMC, KIA July 1966
Billy D Nelson, PFC USMC, KIA July 1966
Bradley A Pearson, PFC USMC, KIA July 1966

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,785 Posts
In the middle of a month of non stop rain, we had a beautiful night of weather for the annual luminary service at Fredericksburg National Cemetery. The local Scout groups and volunteers put out over 15,000 candles for the memorial.

It's always humbling to see how many lights there are, representing the individual grave stones. 15,243 Union soldiers remains are in the cemetery, with only 2,473 identified when they were relocated here. The men were buried with those they fell with, so the markers for each of those graves have a number, from 1 to 12, indicating how many of their company are in each grave. It always impresses me how many people from town will walk the cemetery over the Memorial weekend, remembering those who sacrificed it all.

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe that an Australian war memorial simply says:

"We gave our today for your tomorrow"

And lest I forget my comrades from E battery, 12 Marines:

David Felt, PFC USMC, KIA Aug 1965
John A Girod, PFC USMC, KIA Feb 1966
Peter P Domiano, Lt USMC, KIA July 1966
Billy D Nelson, PFC USMC, KIA July 1966
Bradley A Pearson, PFC USMC, KIA July 1966
Thank you Ray!

And to your comrades........SAAAAAAAAAAALUTE!!!

Reactions: billyjim

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Impressive to say the least. These were the men of the Greatest Generation. My Dad and my Father In Law were WWII veterans.....both of them returned to their families.

My Dad's brother died in WWII.....but I am not sure in what battle. See, my Dad never talked about the war until he was in his final days. That's when the Alzheimer's loosened up his mind and his voice. It was probably during the last 5 or so days of his life when he did talk about the war. But he never spoke of how Uncle Tom died. Dad's long term memory became sharper there at the last. But bless his heart, he couldn't remember if he was taking his shoes off or putting them on.

But I digress....thanks for the video Herb. Brings a lot into perspective!!

·
Official Greeter
18,750 Posts
In the middle of a month of non stop rain, we had a beautiful night of weather for the annual luminary service at Fredericksburg National Cemetery. The local Scout groups and volunteers put out over 15,000 candles for the memorial.

It's always humbling to see how many lights there are, representing the individual grave stones. 15,243 Union soldiers remains are in the cemetery, with only 2,473 identified when they were relocated here. The men were buried with those they fell with, so the markers for each of those graves have a number, from 1 to 12, indicating how many of their company are in each grave. It always impresses me how many people from town will walk the cemetery over the Memorial weekend, remembering those who sacrificed it all.
I am really sad that we could not include Washington in our last trip to USA.

That one was on the bucket list.

I am really moved by the way you guys refer to your veterans. (not that we don't here in Oz...)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am really sad that we could not include Washington in our last trip to USA.

That one was on the bucket list.

I am really moved by the way you guys refer to your veterans. (not that we don't here in Oz...)

Thank you James.
I come from a family where all of the men have served in the military. It was never pushed on any of us....we just followed the lead of a great man.....our DAD.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
Thank you James.
I come from a family where all of the men have served in the military. It was never pushed on any of us....we just followed the lead of a great man.....our DAD.
I like that, my dad served in the Army in WWI and never once talked about his service experience.
I was the only one to serve of my siblings, not because of him but because my Uncle Sam said I had to.

Herb

·
Registered
813 Posts
Veterans, regardless of their branch of service or rate or rank consider ourselves to be brothers so the deep feelings of regret in loosing one of our own is felt by all. To all of my brothers that are resting in the arms of GOD we salute you, may you rest in peace.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts