Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's girlfriend contacted me with a request to make a plaque to memorialize her grandfather. I of course could not turn her down and asked for a nice picture. She sent the attached picture of her grandparents along with a special poem written by a family member.

Using Aspire, I created a model from the picture and carved it using a 1/32" tapered ballnose. I then finished it with a technique I had learned earlier using poly and Vandyke brown paste oil color, mixing the two together and then applying to picture area. The stain settled to the bottom of the finish bringing out the detail in the carving.

I was pleased with the results!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Good show Dave!! You didn't use Vectric's photo carve program?? How does that work in Aspire??

Need a lesson here Teach!!

Reactions: beltramidave

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, Lol.
Really not much to it, just create a model from your bitmap(picture), play with model height settings and carve. Probably the most important thing is to start with a good quality picture.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent work, as usual, Dave! I know she was thrilled with that.

Is that Cherry?

David
Thanks David.

The wood is Alder. I try to use a featureless wood, but you never know what you are going to get until you finish it. Maple is a better choice for this procedure, but I like a little color in my projects. Wish I would have known that the top line of text was going to be split by a glue line as I would have moved it.

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,228 Posts
Beautiful projects like this are what make me wish I could afford to upgrade my V Carve Pro to Aspire.

·
Registered
Mike
3,836 Posts
Nice job Dave. I'm sure she will be happy with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts