Router Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm an old machine tool guy (metalcutting, CNC and manual) and am new to wood.

Wood is certainly easier to cut but has many variables not encountered in the metal world. Can't weld or braze the stuff, for starters. And this grain stuff...

Anyhow, look forward to learning and researching, may ask some dumb questions along the way.

Ron

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
use pine rod...
and forget working in mega decimal...
but anyways...
Hello and welcome to the forums Ron...
But according to your icon window yur choosing to be known as N/A...
So...... Welcome to the forums N/A...

We've put some helpful information together at this here link to help you get up and running in the world of routers... We hope it to be useful to you... Enjoy...
do take some time and read the safety PDF's... PLEASE!!!
Blood and trips to the ER, we find, are very annoying... Not to mention – expensive...

DUST COLLECTION

There is some information on dust collection at this here link if it you need it...

ROUTER TABLES

there's more here at this link on RT's than you'll be able to digest at one sit down (or many)...

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Welcome aboard. Wood is a lot lighter than metal, and you can burn your mistakes for heat. Start with cheap wood, until you get to the point where your can work the wood well enough to buy the good stuff. And, do NOT stand in line wi th the blade if you use a table saw. Do that and if there is kickback guess what the kickback is going to hit. Likely you. Stand to the side and it goes past and hits something else. You'll like working with wood, it smells nice.

Reactions: Scarfy

·
Registered
21,703 Posts
Glad you decided to join the fun. There is a lot to learn and using pine for first projects is a good idea. Wood expancs across the grain, and hardly at all with the grain. So you'll soon learn how to attach wide pieces of wood so the expansion doesn't tear the piece apart. Ask lots of questions, we all love to help someone new to the addiction.

BTW, here is a pdf of the 18+ things that accelerated my learning curve. It's about 10 pages long but has pictures and is fairly concise. Sawdust collection is very important, and you should do something about it fairly early on. There are lots of options and you don't have to spend a lot at first. At the very least, always wear a mask. Home Depot has a very inexpensive dust collection lid for their 5 gallon buckets that have gotten a decent review and is only about $25 bucks. Works with a 2.5 inch shop vac, which show up occasionally in second hand shops and online listings. The bucket and lid separates almost all of the sawdust so the Shop Vac filter doesn't clog up. The real danger from sawdust are the ultra fine particles, and these hang in the air forever and are easily stirred up just by walking through your shop. So I ALWAYS wear a mask when going into the shop, and I have lots of dust collection gear in my shop. Your lungs can't cough up the ultra fine particles. Ever notice how many carpenters develop COPD by age 55?

Added picture of the HD Dust Stopper, and a picture of the Dust Deputy and shop vac setup, which is a little higher priced, and very popular around here.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Ron...we love dumb questions...! Wait til you see the dumb answers you get... :grin:

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hey; Ron; welcome!
It's always interesting hearing from machinists venturing into woodworking. A major shift in mindset usually.
Please, let us know how you're adapting to working with wood.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Hey all,

I'm an old machine tool guy (metalcutting, CNC and manual) and am new to wood.

Wood is certainly easier to cut but has many variables not encountered in the metal world. Can't weld or braze the stuff, for starters. And this grain stuff...

Anyhow, look forward to learning and researching, may ask some dumb questions along the way.

Ron
Its just more of the same principals of what you are used to, measure and cut, just different materials. N

·
Official Greeter
19,758 Posts
G'day Ron, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Welcome to the fun, Ron.
I am not a machinist but a former Certified Welding Inspector and I am keen of welding processes. So we are interested in two different worlds.
As soon as you can, please submit pictures related to your projects execution.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.