Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering this woodworking equipment is helpful in the process of woodworking.
It is said that it can detect nails in wood.
Does it really work?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
In a word, yes.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
They are VERY good. Just a word of caution. "If it's too good to be true it isn't"; there are a lot of counterfeits out there. Read the link below.

http://www.routerforums.com/tools-woodworking/109937-bewaare-garrett-super-scanner-v.html

My suggestion is to stay away from Amazon and the price too low to believe sellers. I got mine at a very good price because I was patient and shopped around...and it is real. Buy from an authorized Garrett vendor and you won't be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
19,237 Posts
Quite reliable. Scan slowly, not fast, with scanner touching the wood surface or very near. Note that it detects some metals, but not all. Some rough, pallet wood or recycled lumber has grit and even pebbles ground in that will damage your blades. You have to find that by feel. The iffy brand was Garret, and it concerns a discontinued, cheaper model being misrepresented as the new and better one.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I changed the title of this thread so that it isn't so ambiguous.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
what Nick and Schnooge said...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
The iffy brand was Garret, and it concerns a discontinued, cheaper model being misrepresented as the new and better one.

@DesertRatTom, the one Nick received from Amazon labeled ''Garret'' was an out right counterfeit.. (see Nick's thread on this) their (Amazon's) 3rd party vendor that sold the unit has since has closed up shop but was back in business just a few hours later under another name, and by all indications, that counterfeit unit is still being offered by/through Amazon...

Reactions: DesertRatTom

·
Super Moderator
5,771 Posts
I have one that was purchased at Harbor Freight. It has work well each time I use it. I have owned it for about 4 years.

·
Premium Member
19,237 Posts
@DesertRatTom, the one Nick received from Amazon labeled ''Garret'' was an out right counterfeit.. (see Nick's thread on this) their (Amazon's) 3rd party vendor that sold the unit has since has closed up shop but was back in business just a few hours later under another name, and by all indications, that counterfeit unit is still being offered by/through Amazon...

@stick 486 Thanks for the added information. I stopped following that string at one point, at which it was suggested that what I said was so. So I missed the later parts that showed it was an outright fake. The Chinese seem to be doing more and more reverse engineering of a product and making an inferior knockoff with the good brand's name on it. American companies that move to China are inviting exactly this, the ruining of their brand.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i have been using the exact detector that the OP posted for years. and i paid under twenty bucks for it off ebay or amazon (cant remember which?)
it works fantastic and has saved me several saw blades over the years. the one i have has a switch to go between a beep and vibrate.
for the price you cant go wrong and i wouldnt be without one in my shop!

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,327 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts