Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
John
6,838 Posts
That young fellow has a top notch shop set up there. He is on the right track and very talented. I like to see young budding craftsman.
Thanks for posting the video, ED, I very seldom watch one that long but enjoyed watching that fellow in action.
Herb
10-4 on the top notch shop, really made me feel old though

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: jw2170

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Nicely built jig. It is limited by the size of the short legs but it would be more convenient for many projects. It would be interesting to know how long the plywood lasts.

I opted to go with the Trend Varijig. They are always coming up with new uses and accessories. One leg with the feather board is easily clamped to keep your wood feeding smooth and snug to your fence.

With either of these jigs unless your router straddles both sides of the jig it helps to add a foot to the bottom of your router for stability. Trend routers come with a foot that attaches to their sub base plate. A piece of material the same thickness as your jig can be fixed to other router sub base plates with double sided carpet tape.

Welcome to the forums Kriss. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Found you... Hello! Thanks everyone. There was a mention of this forum in a comment on my video so figured I'd check in. This place looks awesome! I look forward to learning from all of you here.
That was me . I left you a message hoping you'd join, I go by MartyBlue78 on YouTube . Welcome to the forum Kriss :)

I have to say you've certainly acquired some great skills already , and that shop is incredibly set up.
I'm learning a lot still and decided to go with Festool for most of my tools . Seem top notch to me

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Found you... Hello! Thanks everyone. There was a mention of this forum in a comment on my video so figured I'd check in. This place looks awesome! I look forward to learning from all of you here.
Kriss I see your from Canada . I was wondering which province . I'm in eastern BC

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
I'm in southern Ontario. A bit far away.
Well that's unfortunate as I was hoping you were down the street lol

Kriss I've often wondered how good the Festool miter saw is at dust extraction ? Btw you certainly made the best out of a small area as I'm in a 22/26 garage and it's driving me crazy

·
Registered
17 Posts

Kriss I've often wondered how good the Festool miter saw is at dust extraction ? Btw you certainly made the best out of a small area as I'm in a 22/26 garage and it's driving me crazy
Yeah, the space is tight... but I'm happy because it's at capacity now and thus it keeps me from stacking up more tool purchases :)

Regarding the Festool miter saw, yeah, dust collection is much better compared to my previous one (a DeWalt), but I wouldn't call it magic either. Still makes dust, and I have to vacuum around it... more often than I would like. While in the market for an upgrade, the one feature that made me keep coming back to the Kapex was its depth limit. I use it in the video around the 6:00 mark; I like that feature, a lot.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Yeah, the space is tight... but I'm happy because it's at capacity now and thus it keeps me from stacking up more tool purchases :)

Regarding the Festool miter saw, yeah, dust collection is much better compared to my previous one (a DeWalt), but I wouldn't call it magic either. Still makes dust, and I have to vacuum around it... more often than I would like. While in the market for an upgrade, the one feature that made me keep coming back to the Kapex was its depth limit. I use it in the video around the 6:00 mark; I like that feature, a lot.
Thanks for the reply Kriss . It's great getting a review from an owner .
I'm quite amazed at your skill set already . Have you been at this your whole life?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
It looks like it could be easily modified to also hold templates for all sorts of guides

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the reply Kriss . It's great getting a review from an owner .
I'm quite amazed at your skill set already . Have you been at this your whole life?
I've enjoyed the thought of woodworking since I was quite young, but I only had the financial ability to make it reality about a year ago. I did watch a lot of home improvement TV in my younger years, that probably helped to jumpstart the hobby. For now I'm still fresh to the application side of things.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
I've enjoyed the thought of woodworking since I was quite young, but I only had the financial ability to make it reality about a year ago. I did watch a lot of home improvement TV in my younger years, that probably helped to jumpstart the hobby. For now I'm still fresh to the application side of things.
Kriss it wouldn't hurt to post in the " introduction" area so more members would get a chance to meet you :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kriss it wouldn't hurt to post in the " introduction" area so more members would get a chance to meet you :)
Will do, Rick... only that it's getting late in my timezone. I'm one of those people that stops functioning late in the evening. I promise to fill out my profile with some details tomorrow :)

Anyway, thanks so much for introducing me to this forum! It's so cool to talk to people that share common interests. It already looks like a wonderful community!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I machined my 3/4" plywood this afternoon after receipt of my Whiteside Keyhole bits. All told, took about 2 hours in total including setting up and making my 15 degree fence.

I made six lengths 2x 450mm, 2x 350mm and 2x 230mm. If I decide I need larger I can always make a couple of 700mm lengths.

Awaiting the delivery of my 'extra grippy tape' and the machine screws/nuts, they should arrive tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to give it a go then.

No major surprises so far, although I did make a number of test blocks to ensure I knew what was going to happen before I used my remaining 3/4" Birch Ply.

I'm just debating on how best to finish it, paint it grey with green highlights, Danish oil, surfix heavy duty oil or just wax it.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Agreed, Kriss has a great youtube channel. Kriss lives in Toronto.
I'm a subscriber to his channel.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts