Router Forums banner

MFS style template

5K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Daikusan 
#1 ·
Saw this video over the weekend when I was considering bying the Festool MFS, i was so impressed I have ordered the two Whiteside bits and will make one once they arrive.

http://youtu.be/InipG5bb7B4

#8 · (Edited)
That was me . I left you a message hoping you'd join, I go by MartyBlue78 on YouTube . Welcome to the forum Kriss :)

I have to say you've certainly acquired some great skills already , and that shop is incredibly set up.
I'm learning a lot still and decided to go with Festool for most of my tools . Seem top notch to me

#7 · (Edited)
Nicely built jig. It is limited by the size of the short legs but it would be more convenient for many projects. It would be interesting to know how long the plywood lasts.

I opted to go with the Trend Varijig. They are always coming up with new uses and accessories. One leg with the feather board is easily clamped to keep your wood feeding smooth and snug to your fence.

With either of these jigs unless your router straddles both sides of the jig it helps to add a foot to the bottom of your router for stability. Trend routers come with a foot that attaches to their sub base plate. A piece of material the same thickness as your jig can be fixed to other router sub base plates with double sided carpet tape.

Welcome to the forums Kriss. :)

Attachments

#18 ·
I machined my 3/4" plywood this afternoon after receipt of my Whiteside Keyhole bits. All told, took about 2 hours in total including setting up and making my 15 degree fence.

I made six lengths 2x 450mm, 2x 350mm and 2x 230mm. If I decide I need larger I can always make a couple of 700mm lengths.

Awaiting the delivery of my 'extra grippy tape' and the machine screws/nuts, they should arrive tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to give it a go then.

No major surprises so far, although I did make a number of test blocks to ensure I knew what was going to happen before I used my remaining 3/4" Birch Ply.

I'm just debating on how best to finish it, paint it grey with green highlights, Danish oil, surfix heavy duty oil or just wax it.

#23 ·
Kriss,

Welcome to the forum, you're going to like it here.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.