Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any one familiar with this dado set?
Opinions?
Does it cut a TRUE flat dado?
Is it worth the $$---somewhat?

MIBRO 416381 8" Carbide Stacking Dado Blade Set - 14 Pieces

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=MIBRO+416381+8"+Carbide+Stacking+Dado+Blade+Set+-+14+Pieces&_sacat=0

thks
smitty

·
Premium Member
20,455 Posts
This is $44 bucks new at HD. If it's used and you can't test it, it's worth $10 or less. Top of the line is in the $300 range. I have a middle set, can't recall the brand. 8 inch, same number of chippers and shims, 8 inch, about $100. If you can get it really cheap, and it doesn't look beat up and no missing or damaged tips, it is worth trying. If everything is fine, no more than $15.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Mibro is at the lower end of the quality spectrum. I can't say whether it will cut flat or not.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
If you do a search and look at reviews it seems about 20% on Amazon call it junk because of the less than flat bottom cut. I guess it really depends on what quality you want/need and how much clean up you're willing to do. I have a Freud set that does OK but not the greatest either. That said I think it was a $90 set. A really good set could cost you up to several hundred more. But I'm particular about buying "stuff" that doesn't have a good return policy to. If it doesn't do the advertised job it's going back. Plain and simple. Check reviews and make sure it's for the product you're interested in as Amazon has a bad habit of grouping "all" let's say blades as blades and not their respective brand/model. Just saying, read reviews from multiple sources and see what they say.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Mine's a DIMAR 8" set and it's been excellent! Comes with a really nice foam packed storage case. Not cheap, but I'll have it for the rest of my life.
I have one niggly little complaint ("Of course you do, Dan; we'd expect nothing less!")
The plastic shims have a precisely punched arbor hole that is pretty much exactly the size of the arbor. Putting them on and off is a royal p.i.t.a!
No idea why they didn't allow some wiggle room on the hole size; can't see how a few thou of slop would matter for a shim...there's virtually no mass involved.
I'm seriously considering looking for 3rd party shims.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I looked at the Mibro and passed on it as it looked cheaply made. I went with a dado stack from Ridge Carbide which was the best $250 spent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts