Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,four years ago my number 2 son & his wife were taking their cat to the Vet for a check-up when she escaped.Tonight they received a phone call telling them the cat has been found & living with a lady all that time. Now,thanks to being micro-chipped,they have had her returned home."Gracie" now weighs 6 kilos so she has obviously been well cared for(maybe too well) & I reckon they should let the lady keep her after caring for her all that time,but our grandkids loved her so I'll keep my mouth shut.Has anyone had a similar experience ? >:):nerd:All the best,,Jamesjj777746

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,784 Posts
I agree, after 4 years I would let her stay with her new mom. I hope that the lady at least tried to find out who she belonged to before keeping her. I wonder what the 'trigger event' was that caused the Vet to look at the microchip data after 4 years.

Our dogs have tattoos from their racing days in their ears, and microchips installed by the adoption groups.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Depends on whether the lady who had been caring for the cat wanted to keep it. The family who used to live next door to me moved away and abandoned their cat. The old guy across the street (who has no family left) took it in and it quickly became a major part of his life.
Then, 2 years later, the family got a house with a yard and showed up wanting the cat back because of their kids. The guy let them take it, and I could see the tears in his eyes when they pulled out of the driveway. I say at least offer to let the lady keep it.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
With each of these examples, IMO the original owner needs to be the "bigger person" here and let the animal stay in the new home, if it's been well taken care of. When Ken and I had nowhere to live back in 2015, we told our daughter that Charlie would have to be surrendered back to the rescue we got him from, unless she was willing to take him. Reluctantly (I think) she took him. When we got our house, we could have easily taken him back, but Charlie had been living with her not only the 10 months we were homeless, but almost a whole year when Ken and I also lived with her right after my mom died. He and Bear (Amanda's dog) were hooked at the hip; best friends; and Charlie had become a part of our daughters' family. As bad as we wanted to bring Charlie to our home, we knew it was best that he stay where he was. He was happy, and definitely well cared for.

Children get a valuable lesson in doing what is best for others, in a case like these; not just what they want and feel. It's a major dysfunction in our society today: Everyone claims compassion and doing for others, and yet, their actions prove otherwise. js.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Most of the vets around my area will check for microchips - because theft of dogs - especially the expensive breeds is fairly high.
Molly, our Boston Terrier was micro chipped soon after we adopted her from her original owners - who realized she was too energetic for them.
Jericho was a fully-trained 14 month old when we got him and very soon we had him micro chipped as well. To us it gives a measure of confidence, although we never have dogs that simply run-around in the neighborhood. Others do, but not us.

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your input into microchipped cat "Gracie".Turns out the lady took the cat to another vet & when he discovered the microchip he was told not to report to its rightful owners.She was keeping it & didn't want the reward offered.This is after my son ,his wife & 3 children posted dozens of notices on various locations e.g bus stops,railway stations,light poles & shop windows,etc. throughout the district.A lot of heartache could have been avoided had this vet done the right thing."Gracie" is back home with her rightful loving owners & is apparently very happy to be back home.James jj777746.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Sign at vet's office: Dogs have owners, cats have a staff.
OPG3 has it correct. One has to be real low to steal someone's pet. In fact, more dogs are stolen around Christmas than any other time of the year. Our Chihuahuas are MCed but we never let them out without a leash. We had talked about a pen for them when we work in the yard. A friend said to cover the pen as a hawk will take off with small dogs. We do have a red tail hawk that hangs out for free rabbit and squirrel meals. Once saw the hawk swoop down and couldn't carry off what he caught. Later found a baby possum skull under that tree.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
A girl my daughter knew found a Pom cross walking down the side of the highway in Northern Alberta at the beginning of winter with 6" of snow on the ground and no house in sight. There are lots of wolves, coyotes, fox, and large red tail hawks there and the dog wouldn't have made it overnight so she picked it up and took it home with her. No collar, no tattoo and no chip. She advertised for a week on several social media, checked a couple of vet's offices in the area and no one claimed a lost dog fitting the description. The girl couldn't keep it and I wound up taking it home with me. My wife took him to the vet here and had him checked again and no markings. Every effort was made to find the original owner. Now he's part of the family. It wouldn't matter now, 1 1/2 years later if we did find the owner as I feel we did our due diligence and they didn't.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Thanks all for your input into microchipped cat "Gracie".Turns out the lady took the cat to another vet & when he discovered the microchip he was told not to report to its rightful owners.She was keeping it & didn't want the reward offered.This is after my son ,his wife & 3 children posted dozens of notices on various locations e.g bus stops,railway stations,light poles & shop windows,etc. throughout the district.A lot of heartache could have been avoided had this vet done the right thing."Gracie" is back home with her rightful loving owners & is apparently very happy to be back home.James jj777746.
Have to share some personal thoughts here. Even if the lady didn't want the reward, ethically, IMHO, she should have returned the pet to its rightful owners. I question the ethics of the vet by not notifying the owners. JMHO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts