Router Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Don't have one but the concept is pretty neat.

My home brew jig, based on these plans uses the miter slot as guide which I prefer rather than sliding along the fence. My jig does have limits on how wide the stock can be but I've not needed to go beyond those limits (so far)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Decided I'm going to make one rather. I like the Micro Jig Tapering device but it will end up costing me the equivalent of $240 once it's landed and shipping costs are paid.

Still cool though and maybe Amazon will have it on special sometime.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Its neat, however I see it suffering from some of the same limitations that some of the other commercial taper jigs suffer from. Using the GRR-Ripper helps, a bit, but it doesn't look like a comfortable operation, unless you put yourself in line of fire of a potential kick-back.

One of my more recent projects I made a taper jig that ran against the fence, but it was more like a sled, and the work piece fully clamped on to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i'm going to try it. i know it has limitations, but I want it for the degree/angle scales and repeatability. i will use it to make discs by gluing up wedges/slices of wood (like a pizza pie) if that's all i was doing, i could get by with a fixed angle jig, but I will be making wedges of varying size (degrees) and gluing narrow, non-wedge inlay strips between the slices.

for example: i want to make a disc of 8 wedges but have an inlay that is 2 degrees wide between each wedge , so my wedges need to be 43 degrees each

(8 x 2 = 16 degrees) + (8 x 43 = 344) = 360 degrees

i have a jig for it but the gripper looks more precise, variable, and repeatable.

i'll give it a shot and see. who cares if the kids don't eat food next week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
They do work well, the stop limits and angle adjustment make life easy, especially if doing 4 sided tapers on legs where you need to double the angle on the opposite side that you have already cut, so you can easily go from 2 degrees to 4 degrees and back again.

Also using it with the Grr Ripper is a great idea on small parts so you can control offcut and main piece.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.