Router Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to put some mineral oil on my cutting board and I have read about some people mixing bee's wax with it. Is this something I should do and if so how do you mix it?

·
Registered
762 Posts
When I am making boards I use a mineral oil bath initially...I just let it soak in mineral oil overnight. Then I apply 1-2 coats of the mineral oil-beeswax combo. Depending on how much the boards are used they do require additional oil treatments... just wipe some mineral oil on and let it sit overnight.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I wipe on Mineral Oil until the board is saturated ... generally, 5 coats over 24 hours. Then, I wipe on/wipe off my board butter, which is made 2/3 Mineral Oil, 1/3 Beeswax.

The consistency of the board butter is like applesauce in your hand as it melts ... you don't need to heat the board butter to apply it, as some "stiffer" recipes will require. Once the butter is wiped off, the board feels buttery soft.

That's the finish I use on everything I'm selling these days, though I keep thinking I should use "Good Stuff" for my non-food ready items. Haven't gotten there yet!

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
those are some kind of beautiful Henry...

Reactions: rrrun

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yes! Redo when water no longer beads on the surface.
I think a lot of folks refer to it as 'board butter'
The food grade mineral oil will not go rancid, unlike the vegetable oil treatments.
Recipe:
Cutting Board Butter
Thanks for the link I will read it all later, there are a lot of recipes for Bees wax and oil mixtures, some include Paraffin wax and they all work. N

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Yes! Redo when water no longer beads on the surface.
I think a lot of folks refer to it as 'board butter'
The food grade mineral oil will not go rancid, unlike the vegetable oil treatments.
Recipe:
Cutting Board Butter
Very interesting recipe but, sadly, we do not have the ingredients here:frown::frown::frown:

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome Henry. I have never seen better.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts