Router Forums banner

Mineral Spirits

5K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  N'awlins77 
#1 ·
I went to buy Mineral Spirits and all Lowes or Home Depot has is MINERAL Spirits SUBSTITUTE. Is this work the same? I can buy Mineral Spirits off Amazon and from what I see on the bottles or the description it doesn't say Substitute.

So is there still real Mineral Spirits or was it all banned everywhere by EPA? Is the stuff Amazon sells real or the Substitute? If the Amazon stuff is real, is it worth getting instead of the substitute?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Mineral spirits is highly toxic smells terrible costs more cleans better
The substitute smells better cost less but doesn't clean quiet is good.
what are you going to use this stuff for there are better cleaning products out there.
Both are a toxic waste and need to be disposed of properly. ( which most people do not )

#3 ·
it appears to be low VOC/odorless is all....
a tidbit of information that may be helpful...

Attachments

Reactions: Danman1957
#5 ·
Been a long time since I bought any of that. Found out that latex paint has advanced to be the equal, or better than, oil based paint. The big plus of latex paint is water thinning, and water cleanup. Anymore the only thing I think I would use, that did not use water cleanup or water thinning, is shellac; and haven't used that for a long time either. Latex paint doesn't stink either, I often paint projects in the house.

And, if you have little kids, and want to paint clothes or whatever, you don't need to buy expensive textile paints - latex paint works just as well, and is very much less expensive. In fact, I've wondered more than once if textile paints are not actually latex paints, in small bottles, and the price jacked way up. When my younger son was still here I used to paint my initial on my pocket t-shirts, so I could easily tell mine from his. They have held up well for years.

#6 ·
Thanks for this link, Stick you are just a wealth of knowledge. I have been selling chemicals since early November and I learned more from this link than from the sales manager.
I would like to add that newer technology has benefited solvants. We now offer a solvant that literally has no fowl odor, in fact one customer that buys about 6 barrels per month switched to our product and claims it smells good. I would not use it as aftershave though. We call it Cromac 635 and I've been selling many barrels of it lately.

#7 ·
About 12. years ago when I worked for an Esso distributor we sold at least 5 different grades of varsol (also known as white spirits or paint thinner) some were parts cleaner or paint thinner. The highest grade was used as dry cleaning fluid. It was odourless and wouldn't leave an oily residue. According to what the local dryer cleaner told me they washed the clothes in it and then threw them in a dryer to evaporate any residue out. That may be old technology now. Maybe they switched over to what Danman is selling instead.

Reactions: Danman1957
#8 ·
Hello !

be sure to buy it for what you want to use it:

A few years ago, i got fooled buying expensive mechanic parts substitute for dry-claen solvent,
- witch was just some sort of a dish wash soap
diluted with water for about 8 usd a liter..

Regards

Gérard

#16 ·
The rawer it is the cheaper it is as Dan says. We had the cheap one normally used for part washing when I was with Esso but prolonged contact with it caused dermatitis in some people so there were finer grades that were less prone to cause that. Still parts washer but a cleaner grade of it and more costly.

Reactions: DaninVan
#18 ·
Flashing Off

Hopefully the folks looking at that first link took a couple of seconds to read the text in it...
"Evaporation is the most important factor to consider when choosing
your solvent. If it evaporates too quickly, the surface of the paint may
wrinkle or a haze may form. If it evaporates too slowly, the paint could
seal with the solvent trapped underneath, creating bubbles and blisters"

#19 ·
I still get Mineral Spirits at Sherwin Williams. I keep some at home, to clean brushes and thin oil base paint, but I use it a lot at work, to clean greasy parts. That watered down milk looking stuff that HD and Lowes sells, may work to clean brushes and thin paint, but not as a degreaser. When I tried to use it as a degreaser, it beaded up like it was just plane water. Might mix well with water base paints, but I doubt it will with oil base paints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.