Router Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
I'm just getting into woodworking - I want to purchase a router for a router table - the question I have is "What is the minimum horsepower needed to use rail and stile bits?"

Ken
Just a guess here, but I'd think that 1.5 would work. However, when quality, reliability and the power to handle whatever routing job comes along are important, the PC 7518 is the cat's meow. It's 3.25 with variable speed. If you plan to make a few cabinets and maybe some raised panel doors, you'll eventually need the power this beast boasts.
On the downside, it's expensive and heavy. You'll need a beefy lift under a solid table.
There are cheaper and lighter motors available. But, remember the old adage, "You get what you pay for."

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Ken

The minimum HP would be 1 HP, see below
But it's best to get a 2 or 2.5 HP one and the next step up would 3 1/4HP
http://www.routerforums.com/table-mounted-routing/30226-panel-doors-1-4-router.html

But the down fall with the 3 or bigger you can only have one base the norm but the 2 or 2 1/4 HP routera you can get two base's, one for the router table and one for hand work..it's like getting two routers for one price..

Here's the one I suggest,with a lift kit built in.
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

====

I'm just getting into woodworking - I want to purchase a router for a router table - the question I have is "What is the minimum horsepower needed to use rail and stile bits?"

Ken

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Bob,
I thought you subscribed to Norm Abrams philosophy. "A router for every bit." :lol:

Hi Ken

The minimum HP would be 1 HP, see below
But it's best to get a 2 or 2.5 HP one and the next step up would 3 1/4HP
http://www.routerforums.com/table-mounted-routing/30226-panel-doors-1-4-router.html

But the down fall with the 3 or bigger you can only have one base the norm but the 2 or 2 1/4 HP routera you can get two base's, one for the router table and one for hand work..it's like getting two routers for one price..

Here's the one I suggest
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

====

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Gene

hahahahahahaha I do that's why I now have one (some) for the 1/4" shank bits :)

===
Bob,
I thought you subscribed to Norm Abrams philosophy. "A router for every bit." :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.