Router Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I saw the video, I think on this forum of the guy who was presenting his idea of a miter dado.
I see where Rockler has picked up on this and is selling them as a fully developed dado set. The guy started with a custom ground saw blade to illustrate his idea. now it is a dado set.

Before one comes to the conclusion of it being pricey, a good dado set is also pricey. If a person had a lot of drawers to make this might be quite a time saver.

Rockler Miter Fold Dado Set | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

Herb

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
Pretty nifty gadget. Kind of pricey for just the occasional box or drawer. Guess the dado set has to be a good match, but wonder if you could just get the blade and use your own set? That would change the purchase choice for me.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty nifty gadget. Kind of pricey for just the occasional box or drawer. Guess the dado set has to be a good match, but wonder if you could just get the blade and use your own set? That would change the purchase choice for me.
Thats a good question,Tom,might see some company do a knockoff like that soon. Or if a person took a blade to a saw sharpening shop and had one sharpened that way.
I am just glad to see an ordinary person come up with a good idea and then get it out to the public.
Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I've read about using a 90* V groove router bit to do the same thing but I haven't tried it yet. You set it where it almost cuts right through and then fold it.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read about using a 90* V groove router bit to do the same thing but I haven't tried it yet. You set it where it almost cuts right through and then fold it.
Yup, I have seen that too,Chuck, that will give a straight miter cut, which is not a bad thing, A lot cheaper ,I might add. This is more like a lockmiter,sort of,kind of,novelty miter, etc.

herb

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
Yeah, that string was fairly recent. But it was a straight miter, without the lock.

Sommerfeld has two versions of the miter lock bit, one for thick materials, the other, baby lock bit is for 3/8th to 3/4 thick stock.

But the real news here is that their Easy Set Jig has settings for both, plus four other hard to set bits. Here's the pdf: http://sommerfeldtools.com/pdf/easy-set-instructions.pdf

The picture is of the jig itself, what makes it work is that the ring allows you to set the exact thickness of your stock so the bit height is set dead on every time.

The red one is for Freud bits. These are great to use because of the thickness setting. The tricky bits they fit must be set relative to the exact center of the workpiece or they don't work. These pretty much eliminate the trial and error, repeat method.

The bigger jig is 01006 for $72, the baby lock is 01007 for $55. The pdf tells the tale.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Before one comes to the conclusion of it being pricey, a good dado set is also pricey. If a person had a lot of drawers to make this might be quite a time saver.
Herb
agreed Herb... someone looking to make alot of simple drawers, this thing would play for itself in no time..I wonder how this would work on a glue-up panel of boards? I think the edges would splinter out...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Yup, I have seen that too,Chuck, that will give a straight miter cut, which is not a bad thing, A lot cheaper ,I might add. This is more like a lockmiter,sort of,kind of,novelty miter, etc.

herb
goo9d to go till the thickness of the materials vary and the fold is a bit thick or the veneer cuts through or splits now or later...

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
goo9d to go till the thickness of the materials vary and the fold is a bit thick or the veneer cuts through or splits now or later...
All good possibilities, but they make it look so foolproof and easy, like can't go wrong or nothing ever happens.
Herb

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
If you don't mill your wood to consistent thickness, or at least use good quality ply of known thickness, the miter lock bit is going to be a problem. But for drawers in Baltic Birch ply, it is going to be a good choice. Lots of glue surface, interlocking mechanically.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Last year I saw the video, I think on this forum of the guy who was presenting his idea of a miter dado.
I see where Rockler has picked up on this and is selling them as a fully developed dado set. The guy started with a custom ground saw blade to illustrate his idea. now it is a dado set.

Rockler Miter Fold Dado Set | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

Herb
I remember the video...the guy showed how he had the blade cut, the mistakes, etc...it was a prototype...

I wonder if he sold it to Rockler or they stole it...hope he had a patent or something to protect himself...

It would be nice if he is the supplier for Rockler...

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I don't see anything NEW about this joint - In my shops, we call it a folded glue joint and it gets used on sheets of plastic.
A sign-maker taught me this many years ago. You just determine EXACTLY where the router goes with a pointed bit and cut ALMOST through the plastic.
We've built frames that support the 90 degree angles perfectly and then simply clamp the opposing sides to said frame structure.
Cutting the exact depth is critical, and quite frankly - I've done enough table saw work to be suspicious of attempting this on a table saw.
I will still stick with the router method for us - but to me this is a good joint for plastic, but I wouldn't use it on wood for my projects!

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I remember seeing that, too. At the time, I sat down and drew up a rough diagram of the cut, and I think I decided that you could set up a series of cuts on the router table to accomplish roughly the same thing. Maybe something to design a jig for.

You might be able to get sufficient gluing surface by just using a 90 degree v-bit, centered on the line where the corner will be, and set to not quite go through the board that you want to make a corner in. But to Tom's point, even material thickness would be critical.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On this subject 1973 my son was going to a fine arts college after graduating from high school and was taking a class in Pacific Northwest Indian Art and the class project was to take a cedar board and make a box with mitered corners and only the last corner joint being pinned together with small dowels like the coastal Indians did.
He cut "V" joints where the corners were with a knife and chisel, and then soaked the board in hot water then bent the corners closed and pinned the last corner.
The corners were not sharp points, slightly rounded depending how much material was left before bending.
So this idea has been around a long time.
Herb

·
Registered
198 Posts
Rockler emailed an announcement of the release of this dado setup a few weeks ago. The email was full of links to videos, including the ones that the developer made before partnering with Rockler to bring it to market. He needed investment and access to manufacturing and rockler offered it.

This joint has a better gluing surface so I would think it would be a lot stronger than a bent miter joint made with a pointy router bit.

Personally I have no interest since I don't mass produce drawers and I prefer to use hardwoods and "show off" joinery on the ones I do build. I do see where some could find it useful however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rockler emailed an announcement of the release of this dado setup a few weeks ago. The email was full of links to videos, including the ones that the developer made before partnering with Rockler to bring it to market. He needed investment and access to manufacturing and rockler offered it.

This joint has a better gluing surface so I would think it would be a lot stronger than a bent miter joint made with a pointy router bit.

Personally I have no interest since I don't mass produce drawers and I prefer to use hardwoods and "show off" joinery on the ones I do build. I do see where some could find it useful however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree with what you say. I see one advantage to this in that if a person wanted continuous grain pattern around the corner, without the loss of material from a saw kerf, either the dado or the "V" groove could accomplish this.Herb

·
Registered
235 Posts
I watched several of his videos on YouTube. I think even at this cost, for a beginner wood worker that doesn't fully have the skill level of experienced wood workers and wants great looking joints, this is the ideal tool. I my self sometimes waver on how to build drawers and storage boxes because plain dado and rabbet joints look tacky. What i'm trying to say may not be coming across correctly, but i think this has many possibilities past large volume use.

CAD-Man

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another comparison is if a guy did this with saw blades it would take a minimum of 6 blades and one would have to be custom sharpened,like he did in his first video. They wouldn't cut nearly as even as a dado set. If the blades were decent blades it would be well over the asking price for the set and not as good of a cut.

Herb

1 - 19 of 19 Posts