Router Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
David
3,986 Posts
Good video, Scott, and certainly a good looking box! You used both TB I and TB III in your video; is that because you used the iron in some places? TB I was for the box itself and TB III was for the edge veneer (I think that's right...).

David

·
Registered
310 Posts
After watching the actual veneer work, making those v cuts would scare me to death. I'm assuming the cut is just barely kissing the veneer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TBIII has better thermal setting properties. I know the head chemist and have consulted with them on this. There is also another glue, heat loc from Joewoodworder site.
https://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Better-Bond-Heat-Lock-Veneer-Glue.html

This stuff is really great as it has great contact like tack but is still a PVC glue that is thermal setting.
FYI - never use contact adhesive with veneer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, that is why I have thick rubber tape on the top which acts as a hinge. it is a little stressful setting the router since I don't have an accurate lift. If i did I would cut through the veneer and not through the tape. That is how it is supposed to be done.
thanks

·
Administrator
David
3,986 Posts
TBIII has better thermal setting properties. I know the head chemist and have consulted with them on this. There is also another glue, heat loc from Joewoodworder site.
https://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Better-Bond-Heat-Lock-Veneer-Glue.html

This stuff is really great as it has great contact like tack but is still a PVC glue that is thermal setting.
FYI - never use contact adhesive with veneer.
Good to know, Scott.

When I had my woodworking business, mid 80's to early 90's, I hired a woodworker who had a fair amount of experience in a cabinet shop. The first time he had to make a repair involving veneer he asked where we kept the contact cement. When I found out it was for veneer I just cracked up, told him that's not how it's done. He was shocked to learn the period piece he was repairing required it to be done with hide glue. It was a fun day! :grin:

David

·
Premium Member
20,509 Posts
Dang Scott, that was fun! Tell us more about that bit. I don't recall ever seeng something like it.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
It is just a 90 degree V bit. cut just under all the way through, then finish the cut with a knife not cutting through the tape, fold it over wah-la!

You must have a surgeon's hand, Scott...Awesome box and techniques...thanks for sharing...

Reactions: DesertRatTom

·
Premium Member
20,509 Posts
90 degree V bit. Looks kind of interesting and opens a number of trains of thought. I think Rockler came out with a saw blade that did the same, but it didn't really go over because it was too hard to set the height correctly. I also liked the idea of building a closed box and then cutting off the lid, then adding some thin wood to hold the lid in place. Really nice, and not reallly a difficult project.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I posted this on your web site, repeating it here:

What is the tan tape you used as a backing, heat set with an iron and then water to soften the adhesive for removal?

Rick

Reactions: DesertRatTom
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.