Router Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sharing this miter saw dust control solution that I’m really pleased with. Miter saws can generate lots of dust directionally from the blade and as a fine sawdust cloud around the saw and travels from room to room if not contained. it can become a health problem. I found that using the saw’s dust port alone was not effective.

My saw was up against another woodworking room so it occurred to me to make a hole in the wall and use a half plastic barrel in place of the often used constructed box. I connected this by 4 inch hose to a 2 hp dust collector.

That helped but clearly not enough so I also ran a shop vac directly to the miter saw dc port. see pictures below. I was really impressed with the outcome. In the picture the miter saw area is clean after a couple of cuts.

ps. I got the barrel used, online for about $20.

Impressions, feedback, question?

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
ps. I got the barrel used, online for about $20.
Should have check craigslist. Around here you could have gotten a barrel for $20 or $25, a whole barrel, full of deer corn. Most of the barrels here go for $20, but others run $5, $10, $12, $15.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What more can I say but A-plus for Newfie Creativty!! Did you convert your living room into your workshop?
Thanks!

This is in a mostly finished basement. I like your reference to a workshop in the upstairs living room. :giggle: but I’m sure my wife would have a problem with that (for good reason:D). But making kitchen cabinets is okay!

As David mentioned it may pose a space issue for some.

The miter saw dust used to spread to a room my wife used and she has allergies. Perhaps this thread should have been titled Woodworking Dust Collection and “Matrimonial Bliss”.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.