Router Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sharing this miter saw dust control solution that I’m really pleased with. Miter saws can generate lots of dust directionally from the blade and as a fine sawdust cloud around the saw and travels from room to room if not contained. it can become a health problem. I found that using the saw’s dust port alone was not effective.

My saw was up against another woodworking room so it occurred to me to make a hole in the wall and use a half plastic barrel in place of the often used constructed box. I connected this by 4 inch hose to a 2 hp dust collector.

That helped but clearly not enough so I also ran a shop vac directly to the miter saw dc port. see pictures below. I was really impressed with the outcome. In the picture the miter saw area is clean after a couple of cuts.

ps. I got the barrel used, online for about $20.

Impressions, feedback, question?

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
ps. I got the barrel used, online for about $20.
Should have check craigslist. Around here you could have gotten a barrel for $20 or $25, a whole barrel, full of deer corn. Most of the barrels here go for $20, but others run $5, $10, $12, $15.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What more can I say but A-plus for Newfie Creativty!! Did you convert your living room into your workshop?
Thanks!

This is in a mostly finished basement. I like your reference to a workshop in the upstairs living room. :giggle: but I’m sure my wife would have a problem with that (for good reason:D). But making kitchen cabinets is okay!

As David mentioned it may pose a space issue for some.

The miter saw dust used to spread to a room my wife used and she has allergies. Perhaps this thread should have been titled Woodworking Dust Collection and “Matrimonial Bliss”.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My miter gets a lot of space anyway, so. . . . .

The ONLY thing I'd add is, some sides and top to extend over and around the miter. For example, I did that to my sanding station (added sides, a back and top) and, now, it forces all the air to draw into the system from around me, making for an amazing sanding, grinding station.

The miter used to be the messiest point of the shop, but with the cover, it no longer is. I clamped some nylon I had to the large gap over the miter and that forced air to be drawn from around the blade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts