Router Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a porter cable compound miter saw, is not used for chopping 2×4 on a job site. I have shop in my garage where I dd small projects . My problem is that the saw will not cut a true 90,. When I cut a wider board (7” to 8”}it leaves a notiiceable hump iin the middle {put it on the table saw and it rocks}. The fence is square to the blade. I replaced oem blade withe a Freud thin kerf blade. still have the problem.

Any body have any suggestions.
Thanks Joel

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Sounds like you are getting runout on the blade. This is either caused by bad bearings, or a bent arbor. If the saw is still under warranty, I would get it replaced.

If not, I don't know how serviceable the saw, but if the arbor is bent, I would consider retiring that saw and replacing it with a newer saw.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Joel are you using a cheap square to check 90 with? Not all squares are that accurate. One way to check is to take a sheet of something with a really straight edge like mdf or particle board and make a 90 on it, then flip the square over and see if it follows the line. The detents on some saws are also not very accurate, at least not from the factory.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Mike nailed it. If its not under warranty it should be easy to break the case and remove the bearings. Go to a bearing supply shop with them and buy two new ones. If its not the bearings its probably the arbor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts