Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am looking to get a miter saw. I want a sliding one with a bevel. I am thinking about a 10". My budget is around $200 $250 max. Any recommendations for a beginner miter saw?

Also which do you use more miter saw or drill press?

Peace,

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Not a clue why you would ask which is used more, mitre saw or drill press, but I use my drill press far more. However, that is because of what I do, so have minimal use for my saw at this time. I am sure that most people use the saw more. On the other hand, want to start some projects soon where I will be using a chainsaw.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a clue why you would ask which is used more, mitre saw or drill press, but I use my drill press far more. However, that is because of what I do, so have minimal use for my saw at this time. I am sure that most people use the saw more. On the other hand, want to start some projects soon where I will be using a chainsaw.
At this point I have a circular saw and a TS so a miter would be convenient. Whereas, I do not have a drill press. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Joe, I have a Dewalt miter saw and hardly use it. I can do everything on my table saw that I can do on my miter saw. I do use my drill press a lot and my advice would buy a drill press first. I believe it was Tom that bought a When drill press not too long ago and it looks nice. I have a Harbor Freight drill press.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
At this point I have a circular saw and a TS so a miter would be convenient. Whereas, I do not have a drill press. Does that make sense?
Joe: A table saw combined with a circular saw will do most things that a miter saw will do. None of them will do what a drill press does. Having said that, a portable drill will do most things a drill press will do. It really depends on your needs, the type of work you do or plan on doing. I have a couple of table saws, circ saw (several) a couple of drill press as well as a 12" dual bevel Bosch miter saw. The miter saw really comes in handy when cutting crown moulding, but essentially it's used to break down long pieces which you can do with a circular saw.

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Vince spoke my thoughts. If you plan on doing some construction I would go with the mitre saw. Do you really need it to slide ? for fine woodworking the non slider is easier to set up and more accurate. If you don't plan on doing any construction, I would go with the drill press. These machines are not very complex so a used one would be easy to inspect for good condition.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hi,
I am looking to get a miter saw. I want a sliding one with a bevel. I am thinking about a 10". My budget is around $200 $250 max. Any recommendations for a beginner miter saw?

Also which do you use more miter saw or drill press?

Peace,
WOOD magazine did a review of sliding compound miter saws that are in your price range. SEARS model 21237 did well in the review. I bought one on sale for $198 and it's worked well. The problem with sliding miter saws in this price range will be the accuracy of the cuts and the sturdiness/quality of the saw components. As others have said miter saws and drill presses are totally different tools and the amount of usage will depend on the work that you need to do.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Jim; Sears is winding down, maybe Craftsman brand will be sold off to another Brand?
Seems like it would be a silly business decision not to flog the label.
Wasn't the tool Craftsman tool line sold to Black and Decker?

P.S. I didn't necessarily want to buy a SEARS power tool......I stopped buying SEARS power tools years ago. But, I needed a sliding compound miter saw for a project and bought it based on the WOOD review and got it at a good price.

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
I had a 10” Makita sliding compound Miter saw that cost me over $700 in its day, and found I preferred my $450 Delta 12” non sliding Miter saw much better , so I sold the Makita .
Never did seem to be able to get the Makita dialed in for a straight cut, and found there was no flex play etc with the dewalt .
Nice if you could find a sale on a dewalt 12” this spring ,as I see them go on sale occasionally. I paid $450 Canadian , but I bet there under $300 US.
I would sooner pay a little more and do it once . Not big on craftsman, but it will get you by.

If money’s short now, I’m liking the idea of a quality Miter gauge for your table saw,and going with the drill press for now till your budget allows for a Miter saw

·
Registered
21,703 Posts
I do a little light construction, mostly using a circular saw and some sort of guide. Meanwhile, I rarely use my Bosch 10 inch sliding miter saw. For woodworking, the TS is the go to tool. I don't use the drill press constantly, but I love having a good one when I do. If I didn't have the miter saw, I wouldn't miss it. I admit that I got it early on because I thought I needed to have one (I didn't). However, you're younger and have a whole lifetime of house maintainence and honey-do repairs ahead of you, so a decent circular saw would be good. The drill press is unique, and even though you might not use it all the time, when you need one, only a DP will do. I tried to use drill guides, but they're not adequate.

All that said, the compound miter is good for cutting long construction lumber quick and square, and it is pretty much a must if you're putting up fancy molding every day.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
If you find Dewalt 708 in reasonable shape for the price you want that would be a good saw..

For those that think a miter saw is good only for construction are comedians:laugh2:...
Jack - I don't want to generalize, but I've noticed in a few of the comments that you've made, you throw out some statement, or perhaps it's your opinion, then add a happy face, thinking that might make it better.

Why don't you try expanding on your comments, so that others may know what you are talking about, and don't make you appear to be a self-serving know-it-all and not very constructive.

If you wish to report this post, please do.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
21,703 Posts
@Stick486 That was a mere play on your occasional, but amusing "snork" comment. You're a favorite for many reasons, that's just one of them. We're mostly old guys around here and that means we appreciate folks marching to their own drummer. No offense meant. Besides my hourly fee is so high that shots are never cheap.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Hi Vince, I thought Stick was in charge of snarkiness around here. Or was that snorkiness?
Tom - I've been a member of this forum for a few years and I've always found that the members have been helpful and friendly, especially to newcomers, and others who are seeking opinions and help.

I just don't see the point in someone making unnecessary comments that have no purpose other than to offend, or belittle others and have no constructive merit.

I tells it like I sees it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.